Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Do you know how to make recipes out of corn meal and/or flour?

• denise

I've made corn bread from a Google recipe.

I use cornflour when making sauces [cheese , béchamel,  mustard e.t.c.].

• Janet

All sorts of recipes: corn tortillas, cornbread. From wheat flour, regular bread, biscuits, pizza dough, cake, pie crust, pancakes/waffles, pitas, flour tortillas, flatbreads, crackers, cookies, puff pastry, cream puffs, donuts, etc.

Made them all at one time or another over my 58 years of cooking.

Yes .

• I make amazing things with cornmeal. Two of my favorites are Almond Cornmeal Cake and Apricot, Cornmeal, and Sage Cookies.

Here's the cake topped with fresh figs and creme fraiche.

If you are talking about corn flour that is also known as corn starch it is used to thicken gravy, for pudding. It can also be used in addition to flour for dredging chicken, shrimp and other foods that you are going to fry or bake. It is also used to "velvet" chicken or other meats for a stir fry.  It has no gluten.  Usually not used in cakes or most other baked goods. 

Corn meal is ground corn.  Fine to coarse ground.  Can be used to make corn bread.  Sometimes used to make Polenta. Used to make corn tortillas that can then be made into chips.  I also use it to put under pizza dough and some bread dough to make moving the dough onto a sheet pan to bake.  Sort of like ball bearings the dough and baked items roll more easily.  Does not contain gluten so it is not used to make regular bread. 

• Olive

Cornbread. Or Corn Mush

Flour can be used for making breads, cakes, muffins, gravies and many other things. Corn meal can be used to make cornbread.

Yes, I do know