promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do vegetarians need to eat more?

Why are so many vegetarians who look/are over weight look thin? I agree eating less meat\no meat MAY better your health but seriously why so many overweight people though who claim to be a vegetarian? Fat and calorie intake is a real thing.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Eating less meat doesn't better anyone's health. Meat has a lot of essential nutrients we can't get anywhere else. This is why humans are omnivores, not vegetarians. We aren't rabbits or cows.

90% of the vegetarians i know are overweight. Probably because of all the grains/flour/legumes/potatoes they consume. And the sugar.

Natural fat does not make someone fat! It's all the other junk people are eating.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Your sunflower intake isn't very valid. Who's eating 5-7lbs of seeds a week? Yes 3 oz of seeds pack a punch of nearly 500 calories but seeds do get old very fast. Are you saying vegetarians are eating most seeds then other things for a diet? Seeds and nuts do not cut it nor does greens and cheese. We choose what we want to eat i guess.

• 2 months ago

No vegetarians/vegans don't always need to eat more. A vegetarian/vegan can avoid the eating of junk foods, and still eat some very high calorie foods, such as nuts and seeds. A few ounces eaten at a time, that's spread out out over the course of the day, can pack in some serious amounts of calories. For example eating three and a half ounces of sunflower seeds as a snack three times in a day will add up to just over seventeen hundred calories. It's mainly about calories in and calories burned that can lead to weight gain/loss. As far as the overweight but looking thin, I suspect that's more of a mental perception concept, than what actually reality.

Of course there are a lot of people who "claim to be vegetarian/vegan," who aren't, and has no real understanding of what being a vegetarian/vegan really is, or in many cases even means. However being overweight while most commonly is a result from overeating, it's not always the case. For some it's a thyroid issue, and even eating a very low calorie diet, with plenty of exercise, won't allow those with a thyroid issue to lose weight, or lose it easily. Then with many others, especially those who are past the age of thirty five, weight gain is easier, as often the metabolism of the body has slowed down. This becomes more true, as people age. Also people in general are more sedentary now versus what they were in say the 1960's or 1970's and even into the mid 1980's. There's a lot more things that's made life easier, so it's much easier to put weight on, than it used be.

• 2 months ago

depends on the person, everyone is different

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I know quite a few podgy veggies.  A few love cheese to much but I suspect the majority of the podgy ones eat too many refined carbs AND don't eat enough fat.  You need fat in your diet to signal satiety.  If there's not enough fat in your meal you will be hungry again very soon.

• Brian2 months agoReport

Good answer where can they get high fat foods from besides cheese?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.