Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Will cats hurt a newborn? ?

I’m wanting a young adult cat but I’m also pregnant. Will the cat hurt my newborn when they cry? I'm going to be adopting a cat from the shelter. How can I choose the right one for my family? 

I'd leave it until at least after the baby is born. You're going to have enough on your hands anyway.

That is highly unlikely. Cats only defend themselves when they are threatened. A crying baby is not going to result in an attack by a house cat. A lion or tiger may think of a baby human as potential prey, but house cats do not do that. Cats are scared by high pitched sounds, such as those coming from the motor of a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner, but they will simply avoid those devices, staying away from them, instead of attacking them.

• PAMELA

Babies and cats do not go together, cats do not like the sound of a crying baby, and as the child grows up, as a toddler they do not realise that a cat is a living thing and often grab it or pull it's tail, this can result in the cat biting or scratching the small child, wait until the child is about 5 years old before adding a cat to the household.

ask the shelter to help you with that