Should I (male) ask my trans friend (male to female) out? And if so,  how should I go about doing this?

I have had these feelings for this person for a while, but I knew them before thier transition. It was to the point that I was wondering how to ask them as a male, then they came out to me, and transitioned. I never cared about thier gender really, I just think they are bar none the best person I've ever met, and took my breath away. At the end of the day I don't want to do anything to hurt them or our friendship, so I was sitting on this waiting for these feelings to go away but its been 1+ years and they haven't. I have honestly been distancing myself to try avoid addressing these feelings. Which has been hurting them, and the friendship. I am cornered.... 

• Lauren

This is really sweet. I guess before diving in try to consider the signs that she is interested in you also. There are a bunch of ways to test the possibility. Does she get jealous? Does she initiate touch a lot? Does she seek more time with you? Is she aware that you are possibly into her? (I imagine many trans people need to navigate these tricky waters and it's a very vulnerable experience). 

But in general I wish you good luck. I think if you're honest with one another nothing has to be a disaster or the end of the friendship if things don't work out romantically. 

Stay safe! (referring to global pandemic not this particular thing). 

• Koi

No that's gross.

Aww this is so wholesome. It may be nerve-racking but I'm sure she'll say yes if you ask her. It seems like your friendship is important to you, try your hardest to save it. Ask her what she wants to do. I'm sure that'd go down well.