Gaming PC or Console?

Should I build a gaming PC and pair it with a simple laptop capable of light tasks or Buy a new upcoming console and pair it with a high-end laptop for office work (Word Docs, PDFs, Excel Sheets...).

My current Laptop is a Dell XPS 2 in 1 with Intel i7 Low Power CPU ( 2 cores - 4 threads), 16 GB Ram, 250gb M.2.

Potential PC Build:

Ryzen 3600x

16/32GB 3200Mhz Ram DDR4

1660ti/RTX 2060 (1080P Gaming)

1 TB M.2 SSD

maybe you can buy them both

That depends a LOT on things that we don't know.

For example: for me, I have a VERY SPECIFIC purpose for a laptop, and indeed I did not own a laptop until that need appeared. The desktop is always faster, always easier, always more functional, etc.

Fortunately I did NOT need any sort of powerhouse laptop. In fact, a good-quality refurb served my need.

You - it seems - use a laptop regularly at work. So: what sort of work do you do on it? To put that another way: how much laptop do you NEED?

The less you put into your laptop

the more you can put into your desktop.

If you NEED a powerful laptop

then you can get that (at an exorbitant price)

with also gaming in mind

and bypass the desktop altogether (though you'll probably still want a docking station or at least a full-sized monitor and keyboard at your "stationary" locations, work and home).

Note: the big downside of this is that gaming speed is limited by laptop graphics, which typically cannot compete with desktop graphics speed, especially when comparing price.

If you DON'T need a powerful laptop

then

get the cheapest but best-performing and most reliable laptop that will definitely serve your needs.

In other words: set "bars" for what you need (not want, NEED, as in: if it doesn't have it it's not worth buying) in a laptop and then find the cheapest laptop that satisfies all of those "bars".

For example: for me,  in order to definitely serve my needs, I needed a certain min. amount of RAM and hard drive space, a certain OS, a brand reputation for reliability and an excellent built-in keyboard. Once I set these "bars" I relatively quickly (a few hours) found the least expensive laptop that would do everything I needed it to do.

For you - you might not need a good keyboard if you've got full-sized keyboards everywhere you use your laptop. You might need a superior pointing device - or not. You might need great quality built-in screen - or not. etc.

With a less expensive, intended-for-work-only laptop

you'll probably want to get a gaming PC before you get a console

just because you gaming PC will have the power to do whatever you want, including gaming

and because LOTS of console games, from different consoles, are ported to the PC

while the reverse is often not the case.

I.e. the PC will play more of the most popular games than any individual console, and often will play the games better (higher res, faster frame rate, etc.)

Of course, if there is a particular game or two that you want to play

that is ONLY available on a particular console

then you'll want to get that console for gaming

and the laptop to serve general purpose computing (not just work)

OR

console

inexpensive work laptop

less powerful desktop (which can be upgraded in the future)