Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

How to tell my parents I don't want to go to the same college as them?

Hi.

I am in highschool but am looking at colleges to attend in a couple of years. And both of my parents went to the same college (where they met) and they want me to go there to. the thing is I cant use the diploma i get there to get a job because it strictly a Bible college. there are no degrees or classes in any other subject. I want to tell them that i dont want to go to that college but still want to go to a Christian college. I dont know how to tell or even if they will believe me because i dont know what college i want to go to yet i am still looking. thank you

-Rose

You explained it pretty well already. Politely point out that nowadays a degree is almost certainly needed to get similar job prospects to what their diploma offered them back in the day. So while their college sounds really nice, you'll need to be looking at other Christian colleges as well.

• Rose2 months agoReport

thank you

• ron h

Tell them where you DO want to go and why.  You're always better off offering an alternative than just "no."   "Christian" colleges  are never State / public schools and they may be expensive, but you'll need to find out about costs and FAST.  I don't want to say a lot but a lot of "christian" colleges have gotten very deep into right wing politics.

just tell them what you thought, everything will be fine, fighting!

• Hockey

Just tell them. What is so hard about it?