Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 months ago

My husbands best friend lied to him about me cheating while he’s been away. ?

I don’t know what to do. My husband and I are in the army. He’s been at an army school for the last 2 months, I’ve been more than supportive and loving towards him while he’s been away. I’ve answered every phone call (could be weeks without one) and sent out plenty of letters and pictures waiting on him to come back. I had three roommates in the same house while he’s been gone. His best friend and wife, and his friend from work. While he’s been gone the couple have had many issues. They got in a bad fight, she hit him and he asked me to call the cops, so I did. Then she came back to apologize and I forgave her but told her to work on herself before she comes back again, like couple months from the incident... and we all agreed on that. The NEXT DAY she wants to come back and I told her no and told her why, that’s when everything got out of hand. Her and the husband moved out, trashed the place, turned off the electric and water bill without us knowing, and the “best friend” got a call from my husband last night and told him I had been cheating on him with his friend from work. It’s not fair. I’ve never given my husband a reason not to trust me but now since it’s coming from his “best friend” he believes him. I don’t know what to do when he gets back. I want to be with him but as of now he’s just gotta deal with the thought of me doing that to him brew in his head for the next couple of weeks till he graduates. It’s not fair. 

Btw: I am an X-ray tech dealing with the same patients the nurses deal with. I know what it’s like. 

• Happy

That it is ALWAYS best to mind your own business.

My husband is a Physician.

Now that that's over, my husband wouldn't believe anyone who told me I did have or was having an affair.  I wouldn't, he knows it, that's how simple that is.  My husband wouldn't think about the accusation for more than one minute, AND I travel for work.  I know what it's like to be separated for a period of time.

I'm fascinated why you thought you had the authority to ban anyone from the house or evict anyone.

SO - file a lawsuit against her and her husband for the damages.  Throw in harassment and defamation.

This is difficult for you obviously. Why would your accuser do such a thing? If he lies about this, he almost certainly lies about other things - does he have a reputation? Your husband should know you well enough to know that you wouldn't cheat, so hopefully you won't need to go into too much detail, etc. As in "The lady doth protest too much". Obviously the whole situation will come out over time, but hopefully will wait until he comes home rather than in a phone call or letter. You might want to discuss it with the person with whom you were accused of cheating - he also has been slandered. Indeed, it might be worth considering doing that - challenging him to prove it. 

If your husband really does not believe you, your relationship will require looking at; there really does need to be trust in a marriage - especially one might think, between military personel. 

Good Luck!

• RP

You need to explain to him what happened. He should understand his best friend was being vindictive and there was no truth to what he said.

A nurse on a covid-19 ward would give anything to be where you are.