Mekabo asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 months ago

I have been paying on medical debt that's in collection for months and my credit score has barely budged? Why?!?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Because you still have an amount in collection. Until that's paid off, you won't see much change.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

The fact that you are currently paying on the debt doesn't alter the fact that the debt went into collections in the first place.  That information will remain on your credit rating for 7 years whether you pay it or not.  However, the fact that you ARE paying it will be taken into account when, or if, you apply for a credit card or loan in the future.

• mgan
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

Because it's still in collections.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Why would your credit score budge?    You have defaulted on debt that you still haven't paid.

Good credit scores go to those who pay what they owe on time and in full.

?????

ETA:   I'm rude?   You're the one who thinks you should have an improved credit score when you STILL haven't paid what you owe.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

You need to provide more information than just the question.  Your debt is in collection, wages garnished?  How far are you under water are you?  Other debts paid late? Phone, electricity, fuel oil/natural gas, credit card debt.  They all pay a part.    Since your in collection,  You must have missed payments, so in order to fix your credit, you need a sustained current payment history that will work you out of debt.  When you clear the back debt, then you need a plan to rebuild your credit score.  Someone will have difficulty giving you credit since you had to go to collection to pay the bill.  so this will take a while.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Because the debt is still in collections. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.