Good Guitar Tutorials?

I’m somebody who has extreme trouble learning music vocabulary. Looked up “chord” on 19 different websites and I still don’t understand what it means (there are strings that are part of a chord that don’t play sounds so why is it part of the chord in the first place - G Major)

• Tony B

A “chord” is three or more different notes played together.

Chords have nothing directly to do with strings - a G major chord for example could be played on guitar, piano, three saxophones or even three people's voices.

I think you might be confusing “chords” with “chord shapes”. I don't understand the second part of your question - sorry.

Added, it would be great if you updated your question explaining what you mean by the last part of the question and what part of the definition of “chord” causes you problems.

Added, I see you're not going to though. I wonder why you bothered posting if you don't want help.

No idea about good guitar tutorials. There are loads of people who post online who think they are brilliant, and some of them MIGHT be but there's a lot of nonsense too.

A chord is a combination of notes. Sometimes they sound harmonious together. Sometimes they don't. Most of the combinations of notes used on guitar are collections of three notes. Since a guitar has six strings, the three notes (or some of them) may also be played an octave higher at the same time.

It is not compulsory to play every string all the time on a guitar. You CAN if you can fret the strings in the right places, but you don't have to.

A 'G Major' chord on a guitar typically uses all the strings. You play and hear all of them.  You do not HAVE to play all the strings and it could still be a G Major chord. It depends on the sound you want to create and on your ability to hold down all the right strings in order to create the chord you want.

As you discover more complicated sounds, you will discover that chords can contain additional notes that change the way they sound. For example, compare the sound of a E major chord with an E7 chord. The E7 contains an additional note that changes how it sounds. Then compare an E major chord with an E minor chord, which changes one of the notes found in an E major chord. You have to train your ears as much as your fingers. You have to learn to hear the subtle differences.

Not everyone learns well from books about theory. In that case, they can probably learn from practice, by learning some basic chord shapes. Maybe then, like me, they will work out the theory for themselves (or at least enough of it to get by). Lessons were not an option for me and there was no money for books so I learnt chord shapes wherever I could and trained my ears in ways for which there are no lessons.

You cannot beat having guitar lessons if you want to make progress quickly. Lessons or book study will be essential if you want to achieve guitar 'grades' (qualifications).

• Mamianka

Excellent answer.  I hope you do not also have a scornful reply.

You told an EXPERT they are extremely unhelpful???  You are being extremely stubborn. You can beat yourself up alone for weeks - our you can take ONE guitar lesson and the light will come on.  There is a  reason that people have learned instruments they private lessons for CENTURIES.  It works, and is faster. I  am a professional flutist - but it is plain the me that the open strings E A D G B E - need to have the two lowest, and the highest string, held down on certain frets, because you need the notes G B D  in a G chord - and sting's 3 4 5 work airfare, so you get the other 3.  And there are a few ways to do this.  I  know you are frustrated, but even take some Zoom or Skype lessons. An fine guitarist - like the guy you INSULTED!!, among others here - can help you. So lose the attitude and try again. 

Source(s): Made every single dollar in my life in professional music and music instruction since 1973. Wana know how many teachers I learned from????? Could not have done this alone.

You don't need a tutorial; what you need is lessons with a professional guitar teacher other you're just kidding yourself and spinning your wheels. Good luck!

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years