Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 2 months ago

How to kill spiders?

I’ve tried every brand of “kills spiders instantly” bug spray, but they are almost immortal. Sure I can squish them, but what if the damn things on a wall? You expect me to karate kick the wall and witness the damn thing crawl behind my bed? Please someone provide advice.

Also, please don’t say “JUsT slIdE pApEr uNdEr iT aNd pUt iN jAr”. No. I’m arachnophobic and would rather not, considering the fact that have absolutely no sympathy for them (unless it’s a crane spider or anything small and not harmful).

Sorry but those saying “don’t kill spiders”, “leave them alone” or whatever, I am not asking for your opinion but factual information about how to get rid of them. Regardless of whether the spider is poisonous or not, I would not like to be bitten by it at 3am after it crawls into my bed.

• patty

i

ignore spiders and let them live their life, I never use insect spray as it is bad for humans i believe.

Just step on it.

Why do u wanna kill them. Leave them alone 

Yes--use a vacuum cleaner with a long handle and long hose--and suck those li'l demons right off the wall. They won't survive the trip into the bag. 

Also--get a flyswatter--one of the plastic kinds that cost about 25 cents at the dollar store--and tape it to a long pole or stick. You can whack a spider from a long distance away. 

Also--DUST YOUR ROOM. Spiders like it warm and DRY. They are far more likely to build nests or come in to your area where they are out of the wet, damp areas outside. Cleaning your room, removing any egg sacks you see hiding in that area between your ceiling and walls, or under furniture, above windowsills, UNDER windowsills and in window frames, will prevent further spiders. Don't bother with sprays--they really don't have much effectiveness. CLEANING is better. 

Vacuum cleaner pipe always does the trick for me.  Immediate, no chemicals and you don't get close . . .

• Edwena

Except the spider is alive inside the bag and may find its way out.

I leave them.  The girls(yes they are females) are ONLY looking for a meal.  So that means BUG SIZED.  Them you are a MOUNTAIN or just another surface. Nothing more.   If you have spiders in the house, then perhaps there are flies in the house too.  They will rope them little "doggies" and then sink their fangs into the bugs neck.  Unfortunately my microphone is just not THAT SENSITIVE TO HEAR THE SCREAMS of the bug as its life gets sucked out of it...unfortunately.

.  If the wall walkers do not find any bugs, they eventually move on or dry up and die and fall to the floor to be part of the dirt you vacuum up or sweep up.  Easy come...easy go.

.  Don't waste your money on the spray poison.  You will die before the spider does as you poison yourself.  Poisons can't tell the difference between SPIDER, DOG, CAT, PEOPLE, COW.

.  Wall spiders are a winter thing. In the summer they are outside, catching a few rays.

• funnel

Do you just randomly say things you don't know zip about? Gloze much? Oh well, it is Y/A.

• elhigh

Calling out your statement about "unless it's a crane spider or anything small and not harmful," that pretty much describes all of them.  The vast majority of spiders can't hurt you.  Vast, vast majority.

In fact the ones that are most dangerous to people are some of the smaller ones.  Black widows are only about 1.5" long in the larger adults, rather a lot smaller than some of the larger varieties of spiders in North America; and brown recluse spiders are generally less than half that size.

So when you're talking about "not harmful," that's most of them.  Nearly all, in fact.

Now, to address your immediate problem: they're not immortal.  You're killing the ones you get, but there are more.  They're getting in somehow.

There are two kinds of spiders: hunters and trappers.  The ones that spin webs and then hang out on the web waiting for something to blunder along and get trapped, well, those are trappers.  Black widows are trappers, but really if you can see the web before you walk into it, it isn't a widow.  Widows do their thing in the dark, under stuff.  Don't go poking your hands under where you can't see.  Shine a light in and look around first.

Recluses combine habits.  They build webs, in sheltered places like widows, but will leave them at night to go hunting.

Don't be misled - witnessing hunting behavior doesn't mean you have recluses.  The US is home to MANY varieties of hunting spiders, including the endlessly watchable jumping spiders, wolf spiders, and even fascinating examples such as net casting spiders, which make a web and wait in it, but then actively strike at passing insects to catch them with a specialized web they hold.

You may have a colony of spiders.  Most varieties are singular but there are some which form colonies and have social behavior a bit like ants.  They're more common in the southwestern states (if you're in the US).

Rather than spread more poison, do more to close off all access.  Find every crack and crevice, caulk it up.  Where your doors and window meet their frames, ensure your weatherstripping is in good shape - assuming there's weatherstripping - and make repairs and additions as necessary.

Don't just seal the bedroom.  Do the whole house.  Yes, it's a lot of work but then again, spiders predate humanity; shoot, spiders even predate cockroachs in the fossil record.  It's going to take more than you trying to kill them.  Easier just to keep them out.

Your best bet is to eliminate access, rather than try to kill them.  Do that, and you'll have greater success.

Good luck with it.

How about preventive steps to make your home a place spiders don't like to be?

Six drops of peppermint oil in 8 ounces of water makes a solution you can spray indoors, especially in corners, shadowy areas, windowsills, and doorways. It smells okay, is safe for humans and pets, and seems to last about a week. Cover fish tanks until spray settles.

I've read that if you make it stronger, it also discourages mice. I didn't have a mouse problem, so I don't know about that.

Coming at your problem diagonally, have you tried lessening your arachnophobia to a more manageable level?  Some natural history museums have bug days for phobia suffers where you can learn about them and observe them safely contained (not everyone has to touch them).  They're easier to predict and therefore less startling if you understand how they look at their environment.  Some species are quite intelligent.  I "curate" the species I allow in my house to ones that don't make webs, have a regular "beat" so I know where and when to expect them, and they recognize me so they don't get into a defensive posture when they're big.  They control pests I don't want and I can live alongside them.  Years ago I would never have typed any of the above.  You can definitely get to a less stressful relationship with them.

• funnel

So, YOU are the Spider whisperer? Those Spiders that recognize you that ARE poisonous or not will bite the sht out of anyone or thing if it feels threatened. Ask somebody who's been bit.

They eat the bugs that spread diseases and you are a million times bigger Bully