Taf asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Why is my cat always thirsty despite having a bowl of water?

My cat always trys to get water from my cup, sink and toilet even though she has her own water bowl. Sometimes, she is so desperate for other water that I have to pour her out some in another bowl. I don't know if she is picky or if she has other reasons for this. She is also meowing alot if that has anything to do with it.

Odd as it sounds, some cats have a thing for bleach.   Fresh tap water (whether it's from the sink or toilet or tub) can smell bleachy to cats.  Bleach dissipates the longer the water sits. 

Some cats are fascinated by running water/oxygenated water, too.   They want you to turn the tap on and then they may spend some time sticking their paw in the sink or your cup or the bowl. 

And in some cats, bugging you like this is just an attention seeking behavior. 

My own cat has a thing for hot water.  Every time I wash dishes she is up on the counter pawing at my arm wanting her bowl of fresh bleached tap water.

My SIL's cat is the opposite.  She turns her nose up at tap water and only wants bottled water.  Out of a wine glass, according to my SIL. 

Who knows what goes on in those furry cat brains?

There are quite a few common feline diseases that can cause polydipsia (excessive thirst) such as diabetes, kidney disease and hyperthyroidism.   Consider your cat's age, whether this water thing is a change in behavior and also whether your cat is actually drinking a lot of water or whether she's just asking for it.   It's important to observe whether your cat is actually suffering from excessive thirst or not.   The amount of pee in the litter box can help you determine how much she is actually drinking.  If you have concerns she has a medical issue, see your vet.

Maybe she likes really fresh water. Change out her water at least a few times a day or try a water fountain.