Jimmy asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Is adopting a good idea?

So my wife and I are infertile, as she has 

some weird condition and I have low sperm count. We have talked about adopting as an alternative, but we’ve heard some horror stories about it and wonder if they are true. For example, we’re aware that’s its very expensive, the waiting list is very long, there are a ton of things that can disqualify you, we may end up with a kid that’s full of troubles because of abusive parents or a mother that drank during pregnancy, and often times adoption agencies hide this info from you until it’s too late, then the kid turns into a violent monster and becomes institutionalized. 

If you think about it, most legit parents wouldn’t put their kid up for adoption, there’s usually a very good reason the kid is placed there or foster care in the first place. And worst of all, the bio parents could claim the kid back at any time within a year, especially if it’s a foster kid. All these things are holding us back, so I came here to get a little positive reassurance. Anyone have experience with this, how was it? Am I wrong about this view?

Nothing is cheap, if that is where your going.  Have you ruled out IVF?  At the same time, sign up for adoption.  Babies take a while, older children are easier to adopt.  You should not worry about adopting, just give it a chance.  Also if your highly religous talk to your priest of minister to see if there is someone in trouble who wants to adopt out a child.  A private adoption from a teen might be a better option.