Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Filling out the biography for a query?

Hi, I'm sending a query to an agent and I never really know how to write about myself in my bio. Should it be first or third person and how much should I explain myself. For instance, how much about my degree in social studies education, how much about my publication in a magazine, how much misc. ? It's for a fantasy with a lot of political undertones (revolution and what not) which I pull a lot of civics and history concepts I picked up during my degree program.

thanks :)

Going by that example of your "writing" I suggest that you speak your biography into a microphone and send it as an audio file.

Queries seem as hard as novels, maybe harder, but they're not.

What you put in the bio--first person, BTW--is what there is about you that makes you of particular interest to this agent and anything about you that makes you uniquely qualified to write the book you hope to sell.

Agents don't (yet) care about your education or personal life unless it pertains to the novel.

Winging it, since I don't know you...

My short fiction has appeared in Publication and Other Publication, and some of TITLE's political intrigue stems from civics and history concepts I studied in pursuit of my degree. [Add college name only if it's highly prestigious--or the agent's alma mater.]

That's probably sufficient. Good luck to you!