How can I write and publish a book?

I'm 18 years old. I have no laptop or PC in my house. And I don't even know a publisher.    

You can write whatever you want. And once you get it properly formatted by a word processor, you can publish it yourself on Amazon. You can buy a used laptop on Ebay for $75. If you can't afford that, you can use the computers at your library.

Getting a publisher interested is a major hurdle. You'll almost certainly need an agent, and most agents aren't interested in unsolicited manuscripts. The vanity presses are worthless. Even if you do publish your work on Amazon, the next hurdle is marketing. These are different skills.

While you will need a digital copy, stored in a computer, to approach literary agents and publishers, you do not need a computer to write a book.

I would recommend buying lined paper and a looseleaf notebook, or binders filled with lined paper, and a decent pen which need not be expensive. It needs to feel comfortable in your hand.

The first thing I'd recommend you write is a master plan that's fairly detailed, so you always know what happens next. Having a great idea and a good one for how it ends leaves you a huge gaping middle, which is the hardest part, IMO. It can be a summary, an outline, a stack of index cards, whatever organizational method works for you.

Once you have a plan, you can start writing by hand. I recommend writing only on every other line, because as you reread what you've written, you will see things you want to insert or change, and this gives you room.

When you finish, you'll have hundreds of pages. (Number them as you write!) That's the point at which you'd be wise to purchase or borrow a computer. A used one that still works is fine for word processing. It does not have to be fast or powerful. It does need to have a USB port that works, so you can make copies to put on a flash drive and take the flash drive with you to send the manuscript via the internet. (Or have the internet at home.)

Type your novel into the computer just as it's written, with no changes. Set a time and do at least that much every day, more when you can. If you teach yourself to type well, it may not take that long.

• Tina

All you need to write is pencil and paper.

If you want to publish you will need a printed ms and access to a computer.

So write the book by hand first, meanwhile saving up for a PC or laptop. You will probably have enough to buy the computer before you have finished the book.

• Edwena

How did Shakespeare do it? You should be able to create a pretty good play on coronavirus with all of the questions of death and human frailty.

Write the book first, worry about publishing it later.  The most important thing is that you have to have a quality manuscript.  That doesn't guarantee success or even getting published but it is the most important first step.  If you don't have a computer you can always use pen and paper.

• Mandy

How many people do you think know publishers?  Aside from those who are already published writers.