Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

What do you think of 'grass fed' foods?

Higher priced meats and dairy products usually tout this. Is there any evidence this is better?

The grass fed have less or no hormones, and a bit more nutrient content. But i don't think it matters which you choose.

Most meats and dairy products here in NZ are 'grass-fed', especially in the North Island. That's beef, lamb/mutton and venison mostly. Pork (and pig meats), though, is sometimes more expensive than it could be. Even many of the fowl are from the outdoors living.

They taste a lot better than similar products from the States, and about the same price when made locally. And you get REAL ice cream.

Beef, for example, has a lot less of "filler" fat than the American versions -- the marbling is far cleaner!

It absolutely IS better. If you've ever seen the way meats are processed, you'd understand why. 

And it tastes MUCH better. Beef is leaner and better for you. Milk has a fresher, cleaner taste. Not to mention the fact that you won't be eating all the antibiotics, pesticides and crap they add to animal feeds. But of course, this is a lot more expensive for farmers and meat producers. 

It may or may not taste better or be better for you. I wouldn't know because I've never had it. I don't have $20/lb when I eat a 2lb steak in one meal sometimes.

It's a boutique niche. Some quality may be improved over factory farming because of the care put in, the sheer fact alot of it has to be done by hand. But in terms of maintaining enough grass fed, free range cattle the way you might think they wander a field and eat the grass would not be sustainable. When you can feed-lot 2-3 heads in a square ft corn, you'd need more like an acre or more per head. Those aren't certified numbers in case a farm boy has an itch to call me am idiot 2 day, huck yuck.

It's BS. Hay is grass, whether in a field or in a bale.

I want my burger eating meat

Beef is already highly nutritious whether it's fed grain or grass.  

Grass fed vs. grain fed usually refers to the period of time the animal is in the feed lot being fattened up for slaughter.   Very few cattle are out grazing in some pretty pasture until they are slaughtered.  They are in a feed lot being fed either a mostly grain (with some dried grass) diet or they are being fed mostly a dried grass diet (with some grain). 

Grass fed may be a bit leaner.  It may have a slightly different nutritional make-up in terms of omegas and other nutrients.  But it's not like beef that isn't grass fed is somehow lacking in nutrition.

Some people say they can taste the difference between grass and grain fed.   Unless you're a connoisseur it's probably not an issue especially since many people use beef as an ingredient in other dishes such as tacos, spaghetti, pot roast, etc.  If you're eating a nice grilled ribeye, it might be worth it for you to invest in grass fed if your taste is that developed.

I truly believe that most benefit of grass fed is purely psychosomatic (in someone's head). 

TL/DR?   I see no reason why I would pay a premium price for grass fed beef over other beef of the same grade, but if it makes someone else happy to do so, go for it. 

I don't think anything of it

• 🦋

i dont really care for that stuff. if i want a grass fed animal or what have you i go to a fine dining resturant.

• Tulip

No..............