Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 2 months ago

My mom spilled hot water on her feet while bathing last February.?

I saw the recovery process through which her burnt skin got swollen with puss & after applying medicine the puss came out, eventually the burnt skin fell off & now nobody can even tell anything ever happened to her feet! The recovery took around 3-4 weeks.

So I have this self-harm scar from 2 years before on my left forearm (pic attached) which was cut pretty deep. I was wondering if I put hot water on only that part of my forearm if this scarred skin will fall off & make the scar go away?

No. That scar is a deep one. Without surgery to reduce its appearance it is going to be permanent, but you can expect it to fade a bit over many years. 

Your mum had a very superficial scalding wound. If it had also caused deep damage then she would also have a permanent scar.

Surgical revision doesn’t always work as it carries the usual risks of infection (and that always carries a risk of death) but also there’s a significant risk that your body could react badly and heal from surgery with an even worse keloid scar.

Deliberately scalding yourself will just give you a bigger scar, an infection risk, and a risk of a keloid forming.

Just learn to live with it, and invent a simple story to cover it such as “I fell onto some glass” or “I got caught on some sharp wire climbing a fence when I was a teenager”, or perhaps, “I was helping someone open a box and their boxcutter knife slipped”. I have a similar scar on my inner forearm which came from a hot metal oven shelf. My scar looked like yours but is now 46 years old.

As it’s a single scar and is deep it doesn’t look like typical self-harming scars.

BTW: pus, NOT puss 😺

• Eva

The skin on your arm is a different texture than the skin on your feet. Don't burn yourself in an attempt to remove the scar as it will only leave you with a bigger one. Silicone patches or medigel work fairly well, but take some time.

Yikes!  That's a logical way of thinking but totally wrong.  The reason it worked out well for your mom is because the burn only affected the outermost layer of skin - a second degree burn at worst.  Your mom was very lucky it was only a second degree burn.  Had it been a little worse, she might have needed a skin graft which creates a thick ugly scar.  There is no practical way to control a burn to limit the damage to second degree. 

Your scar looks the way it does because the wound penetrated all the way  through the skin.  You can't fix that.  But you might be able to make it a little less noticeable by using a skin peel you can get at a pharmacy or by going to a skin care clinic that does dermabrasion.