promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

can my parents claim me as a dependent if I pay them rent?

I want that stimulus check but if they claim me as a dependent when I'm not. how do I get my $1,200

10 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

No.  You must be on your own and working.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Yes they can, if they pay more than 50% of your support and can prove it. YOU can file your own return and claim yourself, and then the IRS will investigate both claims and see which of you is entitled to claim you. If they are, you don't get the stimulus money.

Just you paying them some rent doesn't mean you are paying for most of your support. They could be charging you $500 a month when the fair market rent is $1,000.

• 2 months ago

Its possible for them to claim you even if you pay rent and/or shared expenses. But its based on the total support.

If you can prove that you pay more than half of your own support from your own funds, then nobody can claim you as a dependent. The IRS has specific guidelines on how to compute this, so read publication 501 and then fill out the support worksheet to see how the numbers add up.

If your parents claimed you when they were not supposed to, then you can file a paper return by mail - make sure your return indicates that you are NOT a dependent, and the IRS will sort it out. You'll probably want to talk to your parents first, because they will have to repay the extra refund they got, and they won't appreciate you disputing their claim without telling them. If they made an honest mistake they can amend their return to remove you and repay the difference, but you'll still have to file by mail.

Remember also that the credit is for 2020 taxes, so if you were claimed in 2019 but you are independent in 2020 you should get the extra $1200 on your 2020 tax return.

• 2 months ago

If you pay them rent, that is not support they pay for you. Do you pay over half your own support? If yes, then you file your own return as a non dependent. If no, then they claim you.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There's a lot more to being claimed as a dependent. Paying them rent doesn't make you independent. Look up the requirements on the IRS website in publication 501 or use the interactive assistant. They are going off the 2019 return if filed, or 2018 if the 2019 has not yet been filed. You may be out of luck either way.

• NA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you are under 19 or a full time student under 24, you must show that you provided more than half of your total support.

See IRS publication 501 for the support test worksheet.  The value of the housing where you live *is* part of your support.  You need to show it.  If you don't provide half in 2018 or 2019, tough, though there will be a second chance on the 2020 return.

If you are 19 or older and not a student, then the issue is income ($4200 or more) and support your parents provide.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you filed a 2018 tax return, you will get the $1200

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Claiming someone as a dependent really doesn't have to do with paying rent. 

How old are you?  Are you a student?   Who provided more than half your financial support?    I mean, how much rent do you actually pay?   What would fair market rent be?   Who pays for your tuition, medical insurance, water, electricity, transportation, dental care, food, clothing, furniture, phone?

Most adults wouldn't be living with their parents unless they were getting a cheap deal on rent - in which case your parents are still financially supporting you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You get the stimulus check if you filed taxes under your name for 2018 or 2019. If you did not file taxes yourself, then you don't get a stimulus check, and nothing you can do will change that.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.