F
F asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 4 months ago

Cars and teenagers in USA?

In the UK, any teenager getting a first car will get a small city car because petrol is expensive and insurance is often around £2000 for the first year .

From Q&A s here, I get the impression teenagers have SUVs, pick ups and even Mustangs and  a Subaru WRX seems to be regarded as a college car. I had assumed insurance was even more expensive in the USA than UK due to law suits and high medical expenses.

So are these kids a minority with rich indulgent parents or do teenagers really have decent cars?

You may depend that a vast majority of teens driving expensive cars is all because Mom and Dad have paid for it. I won't say that is the case for everyone, there are teens out there that have the dream and work to accomplish getting the car they want, and to them I say 'good for you', but they are few and far between.

It's just the same here. You drive what either you or your parents can afford.

• Mr.357

It would depend upon the area and income.  My oldest son's first vehicle was a pickup and his insurance was $25 per month.  He paid cash for it so he did not need more than liability insurance.  My daughter's first vehicle was a $30,000 new SUV.  The insurance was less than $1000.  My other son has a car.  We live in a free state so kids can start driving when they are 14- 15 years old so they have quite a bit of experience by the time they can buy a vehicle.

ESSENTIALLY, THAT IS CORRECT. A teenage male in particular will pay far more insurance to drive a high performance vehicle. £3000-plus is not unusual for something like a V-8 mustang or WRX. SUV's don't necessarily cost a lot more to insure because they tend to be safer in an accident than a little noddy car. 

its a different ballgame over there ..they dont start drinking till they are 21 ..thats a big plus ..and though you might think different ..i have driven through 36 states ..the american teenager drives like your granny ..not like our guys ..only the italians are an equal ..but young drivers in uk are deadly ..only 5% 17-24 drivers yet are responsible for 20% of all death crashes ..imagine if we had guns in this country !!....just to cheer you up ..my wife just renewed her insurance ..bmw 528 i ...fully comp .with RAC £160 

Although the Car Culture of the 50s and 60s has died - and the vast majority of US teens don't know or care anything about cars - they are still extremely interested in status among their peer group.. . . .  to them, that is primarily measured by price.

Of ALL new cars sold in the US these days, about 35% are leased - not owned.  The percentage goes up with the price of the cars:  the Jags and Benzes and Bimmers and Escalades are either owned by persons who can write-off as a business expense . . . or leased by those with social insecurities.  

I have 6 grandchildren from my 2 kids . . . all yuppies . . . all the kids got a new (leased) car when they got their driving licenses at 16 - and perish the thought, wouldn't be caught dead in one more than 2 years old.  Range Rovers seem to be the flavor of the year......I asks them why and they say it's because they cost so much they must be good . . . HA !

When they got tattoos, I cut-off the allowances  ("You have demonstrated that you have more money than you know what to do with").  They'll never understand driving a car for any reason other than status.  BTW:  my car is in perfect shape - but is 12 years old.  To me, it doesn't say "poor", it says "smart".

added:  I wish the Thumbsdowner would cite some info they base their "opinion" on . . . . I cite FACTS.

The people you read about are in the minority. Most college students are running up huge tuition debts and many live on Ramen noodles for food.

It's a bit of both. Insurance can be high. Good student discounts help. Students who get good grades will get a discount on their premiums. Some folks just can't help themselves and provide their kids with extravagant automobiles while they are in high school and college, because they can. I used to drive past Catalina Foothills High School in Tucson, AZ and wish I could afford half of the vehicles in the student parking lot. Fuel is cheap here. We live miles from schools. My high school was over 10 from where we lived. Teenagers have the gamut in regards to cars. The majority are hand me downs or used vehicles.

• y

Parents and even though it may seem like all teens get cars, the truth is, most don't. Insurance for teens is crazy high,but there are ways to reduce it. Leaves a kid out of luck if they crash though. Gas is less in the US then it is overseas, that part is true. In my town, parents are wealthy, they buy brand new cars for their teens, they pretty much pay for everything, then like most teens. The teens crash those cars, it's such a waste. We helped my son, 50/50 or so, but he has now had more cars then I have, we finally told him no more and this last one, he hasn't crashed.  My daughter just shares mine, she says there is no need to buy one becouse she will be of at college next year.

Could it be that the people who post on here, or their parents can 'afford' internet, cell phones, cars etc. whilst the less well off can neither afford cars or internet and all the electric gizmos that go with it.

It's also a given that many of those who can 'afford' such things are so deep in debt that their grandchildren will still be paying it off.