Does anyone think writers using alternate timelines, parallel universes or multiverses to avoid having a straight forward canon is lazy?

Thank you for finding my question interesting enough to follow it Rebel With A Cause.

Not inherently...but it can be used that way.

Sometimes these alternate views on a character can be very interesting.  Being able to say 'this is something that isn't affecting the main story, but we thought it would be a fun story idea' is a good thing.

But then it can be used to 'fix' broken continuity.  DC has to reboot their entire line every 5-10 years because they refuse to have a plan.  And unfortunately, people buy into all these events and reboots so why would they stop?

• Diana

No, I think that it keeps things interesting and allows the writers to be extra-creative.  Also, it sets the stage for epic storylines like Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Not really. Seemingly straightforward linear canon as well as alternate universes can still be complex to write, especially if one utilizes flashbacks and unreliable narration. 

It really depends on the writer's skills.

The best alternate universe stories are ones where something different happened and it explores how that changes what we know, those are great. And characters from both of those universes meeting can be fun. But, the stories where they bring a character from an alternate universe to the main one because they are basically just replacing a dead character, those are very lazy and should be stopped and I can think of three marvel examples right off the top of my head. 

Needing to be spoon-fed stories that are straightforward is what is lazy, so is not having taken the time to learn that "straightforward" is one word, not two.

• Creakey Broomwood

What kind of minuscule perception on life do you have my dude that me forgetting straightforward was one word triggered you so much you HAD to respond under anonymous about it.