Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Want my own WiFi?

So long story short I live with 4 other people and we all use the same WiFi connection. But most of the time I can’t even go on my laptop due to so many people being on their other devices at the same time. Most of the day 2 ps4’s are running (game system) so I’m looking to have my own WiFi for myself. My question is Do I need to buy a new mode AND router ? Or can I just buy a new router for myself and hook it to the modem we have now ? Thanks 

What you really want is an Internet connection all to yourself, one you don't have to share, correct?

For that you need to get an account with a service provider who will need to run another physical connection to your home, be it cable or xDSL.  Then you need a modem and router to connect to that.

You can't add another router to the modem you already have.  

It would be easier and cheaper to increase the bandwidth with the service provider you have (assuming that can be done) than to run an additional service drop.

• BigE

If it is WIFI contention then no, you don't need a modem, just a router or access point that plugs into the existing router.

If it is contention at the ISP connection then this will not alleviate things. I'd get a wired connection to test the difference by plugging directly into the existing router. Compare this with your wifi using tools like speedtest.net. Wired will be faster, but this will tell you if Wifi or your ISP connection is the problem.

Impossible to tell without the hard data - which ISP, what speed are you paying for, which modem, which router (if seperate from modem), how many devices, how congested are the WiFi bands in your flat/house form other sources,...

For example: my modem has a built-in WiFi router that will provide two independent networks, one for me to use (which I don't) and one public (operated and managed by the ISP).

My router (which is connected to the modem via ethernet cable) provides four networks, two in the 2.4 GHz band, two more in the 5 GHz band. In each band, one network is for me to use (and permits communication between the devices on these networks, plus the devices connected directly to the router via ethernet), the other is for guest use and does not permit internal communication (internet access only).

My router then connects (via ethernet) to a second access point that duplicates my two private networks (2.4 and 5 GHz) downstairs, with the intention of improving the signal quality in my yard. But that AP could just as well span a couple of independent networks.

All of those 8 WiFi networks (plus the wired ethernet, plus the phone line) are then connected to one cable link to the outside world - which is the bottleneck in terms of bandwidth. I could upgrade there, but have no reason to right now.

• VP

1. How fast is your Internet connection supposed to be? (Up and Down)

2. Why don't you use an Ethernet cable?  That's much faster than Wi-Fi normally.

3. You can't just get your own modem.  There's only 1 modem per Internet connection.  If you have Cable Internet your only move is some sort of DSL connection. Or vice-versa.

4. What makes & models are your modem and your router?

5. Connecting a 2nd router to the 1st does NOT speed up your access.  Stepping up to a faster TIER may help, but it's more money for everyone.

Yes, you would need your own modem. Modems usually have only a single Ethernet port. And if two people are enough to overwhelm your connection, you would probably want a separate connection, anyway.