Allie
Allie asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

What do you think of second-hand bookshops?

• Glenn

They are a great way to find out-of-print books, as well as authors you might not have read before but do not want to spend $30+ for a new book. They also have, typically, great cover art compared to a lot of the books on sale now (also some really chintzy art if you find some books from the 40s and 50s.

• denise

If your'e into books, their great,   there used to one in my town that gave you half price back, when you'd read and returned  it, and of course the more it was purchased and returned: the cheaper it was. 

• Kev

I like second-hand bookshops and most of the time that is where I buy most of my Paperback books

wonderful,  great places to find  absolute TREASURES. 

Remember.......one man's trash  is another man's treasure. 

I have lived thru dozens of house cleaning and estate sales,  where the things people spent their lives collecting,   were tossed into the trash like so much garbage. .......including  reams of books. 

a true pity , as someone with a keen eye, and knowledge of books, might have spotted a rare gem. ....perhaps worth hundreds if not thousands. 

But I can tell you from experience,   when people die...the first people to ransack the house,  are looking for CASH,  GOLD and JEWELRY. 

The rest, is often discarded as so much worthless junk. 

Great place to get used books.  I can get paperbacks at Goodwill for maybe 50 cents a book.

They are my catnip :)

• Cara

Think of them? They are irresistible!

Any serious reader has a 'second-hand bookshop' habit.

I just wish there were more within my geographical reach.

• Athena

I love them though they are hard to find these days.

• Andrew

I love them. I've obtained well over half of the books I own in second-hand bookshops. There are so few things that we can really and truly purchase used, but used books often go for less than a third of the cost of buying the same book new, and if the previous owner took decent enough care of the book, what reason could there be not to want to take advantage of that kind of discount? Plus, older books have more character and second-hand shops tend to have a much better selection than bookshops where you can only find books that were published recently or books that are very popular on the shelves. Wherever I go I always look for a second-hand bookshop to browse in and I've come across some wonderful finds in some of those places. If I could earn a decent living running it I'd love to own one myself. Perhaps one day when I'm retired I'll look into it. 

• Voelven

Have you heard of The Open Book? Might be a holiday option for you?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7908227?source_impression_id=p3_1586343911_z%2FlozpYTMma9bK5o