Emily asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Nikon D5200: can I buy a lens that will auto focus while filming?

I'm trying to film amateur but decent looking videos with myself as the subject.

Can I buy an Auto focus lens that will track me while I move and keep me in focus?

Or is this more of a camera issue?

Any advice is appreciated.

My problem was more that I can manually focus on myself when I'm behind the camera.

Shooting video calls for using a camcorder, 

and focusing should be manual, not automatic.  

Hi Emily,

I haven't really done any video work with my Nikon DSLRs over the years but I do own the D5200 and installed the firmware from Nikon Hacker that will give you a much improved bitrate of 64mbps. Don't recall what the old bitrate was? Sorry I can't help you with a lens choice but AF-S lenses in video mode should do face recognition if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps.

https://nikonhacker.com/wiki/Supported_Models

• qrk

You need a lens with AF capability which is any new lens these days. The camera body needs to support the follow AF feature which your D5200 does.

Did you set your focus mode to AF-F while in live view? See if that works. Nikon's instruction manuals don't explain their focus systems very well for all their models.

You really don't want auto focus while shooting video. Your camera will continually hunt for focus which makes for a really annoying video. Nikon's DSLRs use contrast focusing so it can't do predictive focusing like their excellent phase system which is used when using the  viewfinder. You are better off using a camcorder, but it will still focus hunt, just not as bad as a DSLR, and with a smaller sensor on a camcorder, focus isn't much of an issue..

• keerok

I'm not a fan of shooting videos with a dSLR. I use a camcorder instead. Even if I do that, I still want focus to be controlled manually.

Using AF during video may not be as simple as it sounds. There is the question of tracking the subject. What if it's not at the center all the time? What if the subject moves within the frame? What if the subject leaves the frame? How would the picture look if focus keeps going in and out? What the hell happened to using DOF to keep focus under control?

Then again how would AF kick in? At will always tracking the subject at center? That would lead to a very dull composition. At the press of a button? Viewers will get nauseous watching background and foreground go in and out of focus each time AF goes on.

• Andrew

No, the camera won't allow AF during video shooting.

Video in DSLRs  has always been more of a selling-point than an actual capability, they're superb still cameras, though.

You need a cameraman for that