promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How much does a brake job at Meineke or similar garage cost?

I have already purchased brand new rotors and pads, so I just need to have someone one to change them out for me. How much does a job like that cost just for the work?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most repair shops will not do that kind of work. You need to find some private individual who understands what he's doing to install your parts. Or perhaps you could learn with some help to install your own parts. If you insist on buying parts and having someone else do the job, maybe your nearby high school auto shop would be willing to work on your car. Go talk to the teacher.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• Edd S
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

pay attention to this answer

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Don't go to a chain. Remember all the horror stories at jiffy lube. Find a small shop that has just like one employee. Look on an application called "nearby" that has your nearby neighbors and it will have recommendations of it honest mechanic.

• 2 months ago

I charge $35 per axle. So $70 labor for the front and rear. BUT, you can run into issues that are unforeseen when you get into it. Like hoses that need to be replaced or a caliper that is frozen or needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

• 2 months ago

$400...........Watch a youtube on changing the brakes in your car and save some money DIY, unless you have to tools or mechanical aptitude.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

most places wont install your parts ( they make money on their parts)......you might need to find a driveway mechanic

• 2 months ago

Those prices include their parts so they can stand behind their work. They will charge you by the hour for bring your own parts jobs if they will even do it at all.

• 2 months ago

I guess you'll need to call and get quotes based on your specific vehicle.

• 2 months ago

I charge $100 for the front labor and $125 for the rear brake labor. Did you get brake pads that came with the metal hardware that the brake pads ride on in the caliper brackets that needs to be replaced?.

Good mechanics don't like using customer supplied parts because they either are the wrong parts, don't have everything needed,or in this case cheap brake pads that will make noise. Don't expect any kind of a warranty. You supplied the parts!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Chain stores will almost never let you bring in your own parts.  They want to use their parts so they can make money on the markup.

If you can't find a good "alley" mechanic, try going to a place that sells used tires.  Look in the poor part of town.  The labor is usually cheap, plus you HAVE to bring in the parts with them-- they don't have any parts.  The place I go, labor for changing the front pads is $50.

• ...Show all comments
    • River Euphrates
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

They also don't want to have to deal with customers coming back with complaints about a job they did that is due to faulty parts that the customer supplied (but yeah, they want to up-charge for parts too).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Meineke does not do brake jobs for labor only.  $70-$150 an hour for garages and dealers.  That is, if you find them to do the job for labor only.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.