promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
fewnotmuch asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Is this part of a bicycle replaceable?

Hopefully the photo is visible. It shows the round plastic part that is between the back bike wheel and some of the cranks ( if I am describing it the right way). This is the wheel of my bike.

I am still learning about bikes. It seems that this round plastic part is getting worn out and is cracking slowly. It is also very dirty. Is it replaceable? If I were to take it into a bike mechanic would s/he remove it and replace it with a new one? Or, would the entire wheel have to be replaced?

Depending on the answers I will provide more information or ask more questions.

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It can be replaced BUT is NOT necessary. I haven’t had one on a bike for decades. I don’t think many of the high priced bikes even have them when brand new. Go to the bike shop and check it out.

Soccerref

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's the flux capacitor. It can't be replaced. 

• 2 months ago

Spoke protector is replaceable (it is not a necessary part, most will never be replaced after breaking = no point in having it) 

Clear-type will constantly break

BLACK is more durable, will last forever

• 2 months ago

Everything on the bike is replaceable. Including the so-called 'dork disk.'

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Your chain & rear cog (freewheel or cassette) look pathetic.  Have you ever cleaned that bike?  My brother (Old Hippie) brought up Google.  Part of Google is YouTube.  It's filled with videos on how to clean both your entire bike and/or the chain & gears.  You should try it sometime.  Below is what a clean chain & cassette should look like.  Even the spoke protector still looks good.  

Plain, old charcoal lighter fluid & a clean shop towel or rag will work wonders.  Dry everything off.  Then apply a light coat of a quality chain oil.  

https://youtu.be/KM6mzE5lQ0w

Youtube thumbnail

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

The "crank" or crankset on a bike is where you pedal.  That set of gears on the rear wheel is called either a 'freewheel' or a 'cassette' - depending on the manufacturer.  Yours looks life a freewheel judging from the small photo.  That round, clear plastic part is called a 'spoke protector'.  1) It's only needed should the chain jump off, which shouldn't happen if the rear 'derailleur' is adjusted properly.  2) It wouldn't get so greasy & dirty if you'd CLEAN YOUR BIKE on a regular basis.  

Yes...they're replaced very easily if you have the right tools & know-how (skills).  There's a ton of 'em on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=spoke+protector&i=sport...   Now...how to choose the right one?  Really wild idea...  Get on Google & type in the words 'Bicycle Shop' plus your 5 digit zip code or postal code in the UK.  Example: Bicycle Shop 63304  https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=BqKNXv_...

The price at a bike shop might be LOWER than Amazon.  It's just a cheap, common, everyday part.  They may have one in a 'scrounge bin' they'd sell you for a couple of bucks or maybe even free!  You wanna know more about bikes?  GTABS  Go To A Bicycle Shop  Plus Google is filled with links to show you the parts & their proper names.  https://jimlangley.net/wrench/bicycleparts.html  

• David
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes, it’s replaceable. But you need the tools to take the cassette/freewheel off. It’s an efficient way of preventing the chain from chewing up the spokes should the chain derail inward. It’s strictly not needed on a properly adjusted bicycle, so it’s common among riders to make a point of not having one.

I’m not sure how likely it is for a randomly chosen shop to have one in stock, since there isn’t much demand for having them replaced. OTOH, they may have one laying around from the last rider who wanted it removed.

• 2 months ago

Yes it is replaceable and yes most any reputable bicycle shop should be able to replace it for you.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • 2 months ago

If the bike stays well maintained, those spoke protectors are not needed. The typical bike gets knocked around, adjustment for rear gears becomes neglected. Most bikes that are routinely given checkups just don't need this item, the chain will never shift beyond the lowest gear.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.