What's novel has given you the most personal value?

What novel has improved your life/taught you something important/changed your perspective the most, or what novel would be the most valuable for everybody to read? (not the Bible or any other religious text)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Ohhhhhh, many, as I take a little something out of many books. 

The two that most stick out, are probably Les Miserables......which teaches you, that no matter how unfair and brutal  life treats you.......you can still decide to be a good person yourself, and do the right thing. 

and   "The 5 People You Meet In Heaven"  is one of the most thought provoking.......as it makes you wonder.......who YOUR 5 people would be. 

Who has influenced your life the most.....or whose life  have YOU altered.? 

Which 5 would be the most important or prominent ? 

and in the book......it's often NOT the 5 you would think. 

Some, you may not even be aware of how important your role actually was. 

It really gets you thinking. 

• 4 months ago

A novel that has taught ME something valuable won't necessarily be valuable AT ALL to anyone else, far less for 'everybody'.

We all have different needs, though we may not be aware of them.

Having said that, I might just mention 'Catch-22'.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I've read hundreds of novels. How could I possibly elevate one above all others in terms of value? Some novels are exciting. Some are quirky. Some are stylistically brilliant. How might one go about weighing those merits against one another? 

And The Bible isn't a novel. 

• 4 months ago

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Reading the book I was struck not only by the depth of the writing but also the central premise about the nature of "truth" and how each person experiences the world in different ways.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

The Razor's Edge by Maugham.   First read it in 9th grade (assigned), I've re-read it every 5 years or so and always take away a new insight from it.

• 4 months ago

the holy bible.

• 4 months ago

Yes, I'd like to know the answer to that question, too! Oh please answer, folks! Please! I *must* know!...............

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

?????????????????????

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.