Tarissa asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 4 months ago

How Do I ace my tryouts?

I'm an incoming freshman. This is my 6th year of dancing but I can't do certain turns. On top of that, I don't have the space to move around! WHat do I do?

• sam

Practice balancing in the position you would be turning in. If you can hold that for 3-5 seconds then you're ready to start quarter turns. Make sure you're spotting your head correctly and your hips and shoulders are aligned. Also check if you're using too much force in your arms. Once you can do quarter turns, try half, three quarter and then full turns. Then try doubles. Make sure you're landing the turn as cleanly as you start. A dancer looks better if they're doing a single turn and landing it cleanly than if they're doing three turns and can't finish them nicely. 

If you haven't got space, try and visualise yourself doing the exercises as well as possible. Think about which muscle groups you would engage, how much force you would use to turn, etc.

On the day of the audition, think about the technique pointers you have heard from teachers, but also think about performing and having fun! Good Luck!

Just be confident in your skills

• Fuhr

You get out there and you dance!