Can you turn a moist basement into a new unit or will it force the moisture up to the other unit? ?

Landlord made the basement into a new unit. Our duplex became a triplex. But the basement before used to be so humid and moist. The floor and walls were cement and open. To turn it into a new unit they had to seal the vent (2 grates connected by a wide empty tunnell between the basement and first floor unit), they added windows, tiles (with moisture layer) and walls and insulation etc. There is a fan in the washroom/no window there. 

Now the unit above this new basement unit is having a mold issue. 

Turns out the landlord didn't even habe a permit for doing that. 

Could that be causing the moisture issue? Or could making it into a unit with Windows have made it better for the house? (Although blocking the vent can't be too good)

If your landlord did that, he screwed up BADLY. He did not have permits, or clearance to turn a basement into a living unit, and that is illegal. 

When the virus ebbs, call your city building department, engineering dept or health department and report it. He can be forced to keep people from living in such a place, and for endangering the health of the people who already lived there. 

There's no legal requirement to have a window in a bathroom, but there are plenty of building codes to have ventilation and proper construction in living areas. Get someone official involved here. 

• Angel Meow2 months agoReport

Save to say, I think I single handedly ****** them over. Though they ****** themselves first by making these mistakes, and 2nd by messing with me lol. 

• y

The vents he blocked off could have been allowing enough airflow in the first floor to maintain moisture levels. Of the first floor could have alwasy had these issues and no one noticed until they started worrying and paying attention, becouse of the work in the basement.

ya ... landlord did it. turn him in to the building code enforcement people and watch the fun

• Angel Meow2 months agoReport

Yeah hehe. The landlord that did that was a **** who tried to repossess me (I had many repairs for him to do) then he MOVED.  This new landlord let an ex/escort live below me who harassed me and threatened me many times. They did nothing. The tribunal will be soon now. Both landlords will be there 

Easiest way to get rid of the mold issue is to leave a window slightly open 24/7/365...in your unit.  The moisture will go out the window.  Even 1/8" is enough.

Basements are naturally high moisture areas . 

I made mine dryer by putting in a cold air return to the furnace.  That helps move the air around to other parts of the house. I also insulated the walls with a vapor barrier . 

I also run a dehumidifier when needed . 

When you mentioned vent grates , need a better description. Is this the vents of really old houses that connected floor to floor. Those are illegal. Fire code .

Or if you have no air coming in or out then it’s totally screwed 

Recommend you move . 

• k w

better have a professional, investigate why the unit is now having mold issues.....rookies

trying to act as if they know what they don't......

Hard to tell from the description. It is possible to force rising damp higher if it used to simply migrate out of the walls at the lower level. Sound like you need a proper surveyor to report on this.