Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 2 months ago

I dropped a weight on my face ?

Hi, I'm Blaire. Out of boredom I was doing some workout stuff and dropped a 5lbs hand weight on my face. It hit me under my right eye, like closer to the eye but not the eyeball. The whole area under that eye swelled up a lot, like that it forces my eye half closed. The swelling is really hard and solid, it makes the skin shiny and dark pink/purple.

I'm putting a heatpack on it.

I'm scared if this could possibly be a shiner or a black eye and how long will I have it?

Hi Blaire,

like everyone else is saying, take the heat pack off now! It's too early to be putting anything warm on your swollen eye right now, that would only increase the swelling. To help decrease it, put an ice pack on and off every few minutes. Shiner? You've already got one! And a bad one at that. You could have this shiner for weeks! 

Source(s): Sister had a bad one which swelled shut and that was a long one to finally go away.
  • Edna

You're going to have worse than a shiner or a black eye. You dropped a 5-pound hand weight on your face. You might have broken your cheek bone or the  bones in the orbit around your eye. See a doctor ASAP and get it x-rayed.

• Elle

NO HEAT PACK!  Ice pack on and off, repeat. Yip, shiner will take a week or so to get resolved.

• Eva

You should be using something cold, not hot. You'll have the bruise for at least a week, possibly two.

Hi Blair. Absolutely you'll have a black eye as what you're describing already is one. And based on it, it's gonna be a helluva black eye, too. Ice, ice, ice. You can have that for weeks.

You should be applying cold to it to reduce swelling not heat.

• Joe

GET RID OF THE HEATPACK, AND PUT ICE ON IT.

Yes, you'll have a black eye.  With that much swelling, there's a lot of fluid leaking in to your tissues; made worse by using heat, I'm sorry to say.  This is going to be with you for a while

By the way: no aspirin, either.