How does a ventilator work? ?

I need to make sort of a blueprint for a ventilator machine and make a diagram for it that has all the parts. I know the basic functions for it such as manual breathing when you are unable to. But I am stumped because I need to draw and illustrate everything about it including all the parts and functions. Similar to a blueprint for a project. Any sort of help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

• Steven

Ventilator must have a computer that decides what to do for the patient and when. There are at least 3 modes of operation and further options that the nurse must set up for each patient. Operating a ventilator is done by a respiratory technician who knows all the nuance of such equipment. ie You have to go to school for a couple years before you can operate one much less build one. If an untrained person attempted to operate a ventilator, they would probably just kill the patient.

It is not that simple. There are many medical standards which need to be met. It will take you ~ 2 years studying medical electronics in a library to catch up. Go to a Medical Library and start.

You might find some information at the sites below

• John

You aren't going to be making any ventilators. Sorry. I just found the starting places in about 12 seconds. If you can't even do that, you aren't going to be making any ventilators. Sorry.

• Mark

Sort of like a vacuum cleaner that goes back and forth, just like you can consider a fridge a specialised heat pump.

A ventilator can be very simple.  It needs to crate a volume of air(control oxygen content 17-100%) and force that into the patient.  The air is removed through the short tube and vented into the room when the next cycle starts.  Many designs can achieve this function.  Start with an iron lung, then work your way down in scale.  Just draw the basic design and have the control system for oxygen content and volume delivered.