What do you think of wolves?

Are they dangerous, if you saw one in your backyard should you be afraid?  Do they deserve the reputation legend has made them out to be?  One time I saw a video of a woman who was working at a wolf sanctuary and she was letting the wolves kiss her (she had her mouth open because they said if you do that the wolf will not attack you) and they didn’t hurt her.  

• Ray

They are wild dogs, you can train them, just how you can train a lion, but you can't tame them. This means that if you bring a wolf into your home it will crap everywhere, break your things, and it's temperament is that of a wild animal, so if it gets tired of you it will strike. 

Alone wolves are as dangerous as big or medium sized dogs with a bad temperament, but wolves have large social groups which can take down bison. Humans are just big omnivores, but we are not as big as bison. If you're out in the woods ALONE and you run into a hungry pack of wolves you're fair game. 

Carnivores can gauge their prey or competition, so alone theill leave you alone and if you're in a group they will also leave you alone. 

• John

i like wolves and i don't find any canine species to be scary. their bad reputation is somewhat justified as they can be a threat to people and livestock, so avoiding them was a good lesson to teach to children.

in the context of a zoo or sanctuary, wolves can become pretty friendly with humans they are used to, but wild wolves would be a whole different story. and with the open mouth kisses, it's an appeasement behavior that wolves do. wolves will try to lick the mouth of a more dominant wolf (the whole alpha beta omega thing isn't actually real by the way, but that's a topic for a different question) to sort of say that it's sorry or to show that it isn't trying to start a fight. again, it may be okay for wolves who are familiar with you, but it's not going to save you from wild wolves if they decide to confront you

I think that wolves are beautiful animals, and their depiction in stories and myths are justified as they are fierce, loyal to their kin, and form complex social relationships when they live in packs.

Yet, I would never trust them, as wolves can never become as attached to men as dogs, and I must say that I personally see them most of all as beasts (along some other animals of the forest), given to their predador nature.

No matter how many documentaries one may watch about wolves, and see their hunts, one can never get used to that, and honestly say that they don't feel bothered by all the bloody killing...     

• ?

Wolves are incredibly misunderstood creatures-

Wolves are far more fearful of humans, than we are of them! This myth of wolves being dangerous, is a myth based on what's told in stories and in movies/tv shows, its NOT based in reality.

Wolves tend to stay as far away from humans as possible, usually miles away from any human contact! They rely on their strong sense of smell, and hearing, and if they hear footsteps, they will resort further back into forests, and away from humans.

The rare time a wolf will attack, is due to several reasons: 1) Getting to close to their den/pups 2) Encountering a wounded/sick wolf 3) Starvation 

I think you misunderstood what the woman on youtube was saying, either that, or she was woefully ignornant herself, maybe a combo of both! The wolves at a sanctuary are somewhat domesticated, and they are trusting of the people looking after them, which is why they will let the human contact them. If this was done in the wild? A human wouldn't get anywhere near a wolf, the wolf would hear/sense the human coming and retreat back, and if the human were to corner a wolf, it would be a bad outcome.

My Dad has Eastern Timber Wolves around his place and my grandparents used to have a place next to his- I can tell you that in 35 years of me going up there (to both places) I have never even encountered a wolf(I hear them at night in the bush), and there has only been 1 fatal attack (due to human stupidity). They will only come close to human civilisation in the winter months, but that is only to get at the deer/moose, they have no desire to be around humans. 

They can be as dangerous as a big dog, yes. They can also carry rabies, just like dogs. Since wolves are wary of humans, they are less likely to attack than a dog, however.

Dogs are domesticated wolves.  They are for the most part very good friends to humans.  In western culture for some reason wolves have been demonized and symbolized as "evil" but that is so unfair.  In native North American culture wolves are symbolized as intelligent, that's a much better way to think of them in my opinion.  I don't fear wolves.  I like them.  It's humans that are dangerous.

Wolves don't just attack people, you could have a wolf as a pet and it would act like a dog. The reason you can't is, as soon as you give the wolf a signal that it's in charge, then it will savage you. The signal could be given unwittingly, it could read body language.

too dangerous. wild animals can be trained, but not tamed.