Canon 200D II camera video quality?

I bought my first DSLR for taking video. Canon's 200D II with a kit lens of EFS-18-55 mm. When I took first video out of it , I was so shocked. When i took videos of buildings around me, everything seems to be without any details. But when i take video of myself putting the camera close to my face in a selfie mode, it takes fairly good video. Video about buildings taken from my camera was worse than what iPhone 6s could do .. No details whats so ever. It it my problem that I can not use? is it the problem of kit lens? or my camera is not good enough for videography? what's the issue?

• BriaR

Difficult to say without seeing the video.  Canon DSLRs are good for video.  The 18-55 kit lens is not the best lens but it is more than adequate for the job you are attempting.  My gut feel is that it is an operator problem. Just some random thoughts...

Check what resolution you are using - use maximum resolution and be sure that the device you are using to view the finished video is up to the job.Are you using high ISO?  Try to keep the ISO at 400 or belowDid you have good light?  In low light a long shutter time will create in frame blur.

Can't remember if that camera can auto focus during shooting - does it have full time AF or do you need to adjust manually?

• it does have full time auto focus . It is 2019 model and have processors better than the higher end model as well.. And yes it have 4K video recording. 

Sounds to me like you turned off the autofocus.

• keerok

Facts:

1. The dSLR was never meant to do video.

2. Picture and video quality depend mostly on the skill of the user.

3. The camera is only a tool.

4. The right tool for capturing video is a digital camcorder.

5. You're now more shocked than ever.

• Frank

No detail could be from overexposure.  If so, you need to adjust the camera settings (e.g. use a smaller f/stop like f/8 instead of a larger one like f/4) to prevent overexposure.  Sometimes you can't do this in video mode because you have to use specific shutter speeds.  In those cases, you will need to use a neutral density (ND) filter to reduce the light.

Without seeing the video to know exactly what you mean by "no detail," it's really hard to say what's going wrong.  But for the most part, most of the time it's because the area without detail is being overexposed and all you see is a white blob.

I also strongly recommend that you look into downloading Magic Lantern's firmware upgrade for your Canon.  It's a free upgrade that is installed on one of the memory cards.  The upgrade does not actually replace the camera's firmware if I remember correctly.  I do know that it definitely will not void your warranty or harm/damage your camera in any way.  What it does is that it adds a lot of important features used for making videos that Canon leaves out.

DSLRs are Not the right choice for shooting video.

Camcorders ARE.

• Sumi

The only reason for using a DSLR for video is for that cinematic shallow depth of field look. Otherwise a camcorder is vastly superior.