Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

A few years back, did you ever expect something like this Covid-19 crisis would happen?

Personally, 5 to 10 years ago, I myself always have expected that something similar to WW2 or the 1929 great depression would happen within our lifetime.

The conventional dynamics of war became outdated w/ the advent of nuclear weapons. Mutual destruction including the land, resources etc. which frequently cause war became a factor. I've been unconcerned that way. The reckless way the US spends way more than it takes in and climate change have been my top priorities. I didn't know trump fired

The conventional dynamics of war became outdated w/ the advent of nuclear weapons. Mutual destruction including the land, resources etc. which frequently cause war became a factor. I've been unconcerned that way. The reckless way the US spends way more than it takes in and climate change have been my top priorities. I didn't know trump fired the pandemic response team but I have always known he's not presidential and have prayed the harm he does is not permanent/is reversible in reasonable time.

The immediate future for America looks bleak because he thinks he knows more than he does and he has selfish ulterior motives. If he gets voted out, I will consider that some redemption for my trump-related sacrifices.

Sure, a pandemic is inevitable on occasion

Yes - in 2004 we dodged a real bullet - 20 times more deadly than this covid. It was the H5N1 bird flu virus. It never became airborne, but if it had - sheesh. Two out of three people in the world would have died. Every developed nation put together draconian plans, but thankfully never had to use them. But yes, those of us in emergency management were very aware of this potential.

believe it or not we are lucky that the virus is not that deadly, there are plenty more out there that could kill millions very quickly.. its highly likely that at some point in the future one of those really nasty viruses will wipe out mankind.

I did, but then we had plenty of warnings in recent years with SARS, MERS, and Ebola. Also, go a bit further back and you had polio, tuberculosis, and the Spanish flu.

Also, I have a lot of reminders in my everyday life: I study genealogy and my great-grandparents and great-great grandparents could only get married if they had been vaccinated against smallpox. I have a scar on my shoulder from when I was vaccinated against tuberculosis as a kid, and one of my father's friends walks with a limp from when he had polio.

The viral/bacterial infection race against science is always on. Just the players change.

I have read about 100 apocalyptic novels so I have been experiencing this for years, except worse. The books have made me somewhat of a prepper. The apocalyptic novels are based on an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP), a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), a breakdown of the economic system, a pandemic with perhaps twice or three times the virulence of the current one, or a flat out invasion by a foreign group of nations. Note to People - these are not science fiction scenarios and are quite possible.

Guess what, we were warned and I knew something like this would happen years ago. (and I mean over 50 years ago) But just like the rest of you I would not admit it or believe it but now it is slapping us in the face, maybe it is true after all. 

No. I did next except this. i had plans for my 20th birthday, now I can't even do anything this weekend all because of the virus smh

I think that I always suspected that something would have to jump out and turn things askew in the 21st century. In the comfortable parts of the world at least, we have had it good for so very long, so many decades. So many years of stability and prosperity.

I have long been someone who worried about climate change, and felt that one day we would be paying the price for ignoring that problem.

I didn't really expect this, the Covid-19 pandemic. In January, I was making plans to travel overseas, I had planned to make this an interesting year... but History has changed my plans.

I think that the world will be feeling the effects of this for years to come. As much as I hate it and want it to end, I also suspect that humanity needs moments such as this, to shake out of complacency and recognize that our civilization isn't as safe as we think that it is. Other generations have faced dreadful wars and depression, and now another hard challenge has reared its head. We can beat this, we will beat this.

No, I never really believed that something like SARS or Ebola would spread across the whole planet and cause death and economic destruction. Perhaps I should have. This pandemic has been, among many things, a learning experience for humanity.