promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

Why did the gas station overcharge my card?

I bought gas using my debit card but runned it as credit at a shell gas station. I pre-paid for $80 but my car filled up with about $55 but my account was charged for the full $80! Why??!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It will self correct in a day or 2.  You will get a credit of $25.

. Banks hate to be out (either too much or not enough...as it messes up their books.  Accounting hates that.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Do you ever bother to read anything they post on the gas pumps about paying with a debit card?

• 2 months ago

Because you pre-paid the $80 and weren't smart enough to tell the person inside that you only pumped $55 and asked for the $25 credit to be run through your card.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They put an $80 hold on your account. That should then be reversed out, and the $55 charged, within a day or so. If it doesn't, call your card provider.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Did you go back in to get the difference refunded? You should be able to estimate how much your bill is going to be much closed than that. If they have pay-at-the pump and you're using your debit card as a credit, you can use your card at the pump. BTW "runned" is not a word. The past tense of run is ran.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

there is no way to prepay. You are making stuff up.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because you told the machine you are purchasing $80 worth of gas.   It's not their fault you left behind $25 of the gas you paid for just like it's not the restaurant's fault if you leave behind 1/3 of the meal you ordered.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

because you prepaid for 80. Why are you asking here rather than the bank?

• 2 months ago

Gas stations put in a charge on your card before pumping that shows on your statement until the card processes the actual amount paid.   The temporary charge of the higher amount goes away after they process your actual charge amount.

• 2 months ago

You cant prepay for 80 with a debit card and not be charged 80. Next time only prepay for what you know you need. That is one reason debit cards suck.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.