Boy
Lv 4
Boy asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 months ago

Why don’t clocks no longer have an 8 bit chime to them? ?

Battery operated wall clocks, Their chime sounds like a tape recording of real chime rods.

Back in the 1990s they played 8-bit Westminster chimes

What happended? 

Update:

8-bit westminster chimes = Atari 2600 sounding music.

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Expensive mechanical clocks still do.  For the rest, it's easier and cheaper to play a sound file rather than incorporate a striking mechanism, striker and chimes.  Particularly for battery clocks which don't have the means to run the mechanism. You pays your money and takes your choice.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

China there's a cost for going to the cheapest place to make stuff it cheap.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Entirely too many of them still do.

I can't imagine that you're looking back on this circumstance with nostalgia, I haven't heard anything quite so awful as recorded-sounding or 8-bit chimes. Either get the real thing or spring like $10 more to get something that has better sound quality.

[edit]

I just realized you may mean an eight-note chime, not eight-bit.  That would be a different thing entirely.

Eight note chimes - talking about the mechanical chime movements, electronic chimes can have any number of different tones - are going to be the more expensive ones.  You'll find the occasional lower-price model but even those will be a step or three up from even the best electronic chiming clocks.

• 4 months ago

production had to get cheap to compete on price

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.