Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

I got sacked and having my appeal what should I do? ?

So basically everyone at work wasn't happy as we were told we couldn't close during the COVID-19 cos we're not a big company. So the stores closed but online business was still going even though its nothing essential. 8 people were sent home with possible contact and we was told if we choose to self isolate we'd only get statuary pay, which none of us can live off. So we felt we had no option but to stay.

So I was fuming and posted some statuses slagging the company off as I was stressed and anxious about it all. Then some one screen shotted it and showed HR. Even though I stated I didn't know you couldn't post stuff as I hadn't signed anything off or seen a hand book. They said well it's just something you should know and basically don't trust me anymore, so they fired me. 

I feel this is unfair as I have been with them for 5 years and worked ******* hard. I'm incredibly stressed and anxious about it and feel this wasn't fair, I even apologised and stated I did wrong but surely there's something I can do as nothing had been signed or shown that I couldn't post stuff. 

If anyone can give me some tips on what to do on my appeal that would be great. 

• Ann

You made a mistake in posting negative things about your employer.  It is common sense to not jeporadize your job like that.  You probably don't have grounds for an appeal. 

• xyzzy

Whenever you find a new job don't post things that can harm your employer. What does it matter how you feel or what you think is fair or not?

You should start looking for another job.

If your employer can find a way to stay open. He should. Each buisiness that closes is a negative impact on the economy.

Your job technically does NOT have to allow you to self isolate at your choice.. They could fire you for not coming in

They didnt have to offer ANY pay of you chose to self isolate either. Why should they give full pay to someone who isn't working?

Then you rant and slander your employer? EVERYONE is stressed about this situation.

you didn't tell us where you are, so we don't know what nations/states/provinces laws to apply. basically, you dissed the company in public and they fired you for cause. in my area, you can't win that one-- and for good reason

How old are you anyway? You threw a temper tantrum and posted crap you knew you should not have done (anybody with even an 1/4 ounce of common sense would know not to do)

So you are stressed, poor baby, you do dumb sh+it you get fired for it. You do not know what stress is.

If you have worked for them for 5 years then you knew the policy, so please do not insult us with your pity party excuse.

You will lose your appeal with the company, and  if you file for unemployment you will lose there as well.

I find it amazing that you were all tough with your postings, but now you are a whimpering snot rag

You should explain how stupid you were and beg for your job back.

• TedEx

Oh, please! You have no idea what stress is.  What about the nurses,, EMT;s, who are working their azzes off during this epidemic ,they have a right to be stressed and anxious.>?

You can't appeal because posting stuff on social media is bringing the company into disrepute which is an immediate sackable offense.  I can't think of any company that wouldn't sack you for doing the same.  HR wouldn't let someone like that back.  This is why we have whistle blowing legislation to protect workers reporting unsafe conditions, but that does not cover publicly slagging off the company.

It's a terrible situation you're in.  I really do sympathise, but I'm telling you how it is.  It would be nice if companies made some allowances for these high stress times but they don't have to.  (I also don't think much about the person who took the screen shot.  That was unnecessarily petty, especially given the circumstances.)  

I don't know if the rules about benefits for people who've "intentionally made themselves unemployed," i.e. sacked,  have been relaxed because of covid-19.  You'll have to contact the Citizen Advice Bureau.  Maybe someone else in your household can claim universal credit due to an unexpected sharp fall in income?  CAB will know.  Please contact them without delay because they also know about things like hardship funds.

If I were you I'd also make a start on minimising your outgoings asap and see if you can negotiate reduced/deferred payments for utilities/rent/mortgage, and start looking for another job.  If there's still a scrum to hire couriers and delivery drivers you may get in without a reference which will at least get you a reference for the job after that.  In the future when things calm down you're going to have to be honest about what happened and just say you panicked about covid-19 and didn't follow the correct procedure to raise concerns.  You realise your mistake and that due to the situation everyone's feelings were running high.  This is what hiring managers will want to hear (no matter how you actually feel).  I'm sorry it was such a hard way to learn this lesson.

Fried Kitten, are you in the UK?  Committing a gross sackable offense, which sadly this is, is considered making oneself intentionally unemployed and there are severe consequences when it comes to seeking benefits (welfare to USians).

• Elaine

If you have been with the company for 5 years then that makes you an adult. By now you should have developed some awareness of the dangers of posting things online.  You must have read that companies do pay attention to what both current and potential employees post on the internet.  In addition if you have been paying any attention to the news then you must be fully cognizant of people apologising for things they posted years ago.  Common sense should tell you that you don't publicly criticise your employer on the internet.  

Hopefully you have just learned a valuable life lesson.  There is a lot of truth in the saying that you: 1) count to ten before you open your mouth, 2) when putting anything in writing wait 24 hours before mailing or internet posting.  

Accept the fact that you have no case for appealing. 

• Tavy

I would have sacked you, it's common sense not to slag a company online.  You are not the only one this has happened to in the U.K.