Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 4 months ago

What difference does it make if the earth is flat or round?

We need to be able to make predictions of things like weather events, we rely on satellites, we want to be able to fly from one place to another using the least fuel, ... Lots of reasons

The flat Earth model does not allow for predictions, and I would really love to see a flat Earther do the computations necessary to launch a communications satellite using a flat earth model. 

Perception: the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses: the normal limits to human perception.

Vision limited by what they see on a flat screen or printed on paper. Therefore if it looks flat, it is flat.

nobody can circumnavigate if it's flat.

As long as I got my King Jesus!!!

• Ian

Now that is a good question! I suspect that a problem may develop if a family of really fat aliens lands near the edge and tilts the Earth. Christmas would be in June, the sun would come up in the afternoon and Sunday would be on Thursday.

Math...lots and lots of math. I can’t believe it’s 2020 and we’re still debating this. I thought we were past this. First, Bush says the “jury’s still out” about evolution, now this. We’re going so backwards with science. 

• Tom S

The difference is about reality, in reality planets are approximately spherical in shape.  In reality, we could not have all those satellites in orbit of a flat object. 

• MARK

Flat: 1. would exist as an exception to the laws of physics - that would be a major

thing

2. is a lie

3. Earth would not have an atmosphere due to lack of gravity and we would 

not be here having this pointless discussion.

Round: 1. the shape of the Earth, i.e. a spheroid, would conform to the laws of

physics

2. is the truth - which matters a great deal

3. Earth has an atmosphere and one that supports life

4. unfortunately because of no. 3 (above) we have these ridiculous questions

• CRR

It is what it is. 

• Bill-M

If the world was flat there would be no life on it as it would be too small to hold an atmosphere. Once a body reaches a certain size GRAVITY Shapes it into a round object.  That is why all the large rocks out in space are round and all the small rocks are irregular shape. Same with gas giants - Gravity sucks.