Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Contact lenses prescription expired during quarantine? ?

My contacts prescription expired about a month ago, but I didn’t notice this until I ran out of contacts and had to go buy more a week ago. They told me that they obviously can’t give me any more and that I just need to wear my glasses, but I lost them ages ago and solely relied on my contacts for my vision. Now they’re telling me that there’s nothing they could do to help since their doctor won’t be in office until the end of quarantine. What should I do? Is buying contacts online a bad idea? How much longer can I wear my last pair of contacts? (They’re 2 week lenses, and I’ve already been wearing them for almost 3 weeks) I’m kind of desperate at this point, thanks in advance!

Ask again. At my practice, we would give you at least a couple of pairs of trials. I'm sure the office staff has a way of contacting the doctor. He could OK boxes for you. He surely should OK the trials. This is a unique time. We can talk about what should have happened but you need something to wear until this is over. It is in your optometrist best interest to help you do the correct thing which is not trying to fill an expired contact lens prescription on line. 

Its slightly possible to be able to get a few trial contacts till you can get an exam, but it depends on the doctor. Once you are able to get an exam you need to get a pair of glasses to have in case if something like this happens again! It wont hurt to wear glasses frequently to give your eyes a break from wearing contacts all the time! Some doctors wont allow a person to get contacts if they don't have a pair of glasses with a current prescription if their eyes are bad enough.  If you cant afford to get both for now just get glasses! When you get your exam you can get the exam for contacts this way you can get your trials to wear till your glasses comes in. If you cant get contacts

right away you can rough it till you are able to buy them! But please make it a priority to buy glasses and don't be afraid to wear them!

I get mine online. 

Back in the 90s, contacts can go for 6 months to a year. What has changed. Nothing except telling you to change it every day or every week. The reason they tell you to change it often is so that they can make more money. That’s the #1 reason. 

The second reason is less maintenance. In the 90s, you’re supposed to use enzymatic cleaners once a week to get rid of the protein deposit. By changing frequently, you don’t have to clean. It’s not a big deal anyway. The tablet does all the work. You just need to rub the lens to break up the deposit and rinse it thoroughly. 

You can wear it for several weeks without any problems as long as you disinfect it every night and use the enzymatic clearer once a week. If you can’t find it, just use your contact solution and run the lens in a circular motion to break up the deposit. 

• Footprintz

You need to get some more education about lens technologies and how they have changed since the 90's before giving out dangerous medical advice.

• P

It seems a little absurd you don't have a pair of backup glasses you could just put on.  Otherwise you should have started this process weeks ago.  Send whatever prescription you have to order some glasses and\or contacts online.  

• Tulip

Should have paid more attention