Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

Can loss money be recovered , due to a scam , or due to a bank account being hacked?

My senior aged vulnerable mother, set up an account on a dating site.

She admits to me, about having conversations and exchanging personal information

with sketchy members on the site.

My mother yesterday told me that her Facebook account had been hacked into.

She believes this is in connection to a member she previously chatted with on the dating site.

How can my mom stay safe from being scammed?

How can the banks protect my mom from becoming a victim?

Most importantly : If my mom were to experience a loss of funds , due to her account being hacked , can the bank recover this money and get it back to her?

My mother s biggest concern is that a scammer might hack into one or more of her bank accounts and wipe out her life savings.

They can't hack into her bank account through Facebook, because one has NOTHING to do with the other. Bank account information is not available through FB. If your mother stupidly gives out her personal information through any dating site, and money is withdrawn, then that's through her stupidity. A bank's job is not to protect idiots. It's your mother's job to protect herself and not do stupid things that put her and her accounts at risk. If she can't think for herself, then tell her to not give her banking information to anyone.

They had hacked my card from an online shopping site and hadn't recovered anything from the bank. I got angry and checked this site:https://www.bestinternetcasino.net/ I received my welcome bonus and I was able to recover the money that was stolen from me and even make a profit. So count on yourself.

I need money in my account 

She needs to be smarter. You cannot do that for her. I suggest you make sure that she has a program like AVG  or norton virus protector and malware remover. But that only protects so much, you should have her monitor her credit reports for any new accounts that aren't hers. If you believe her bank account info has been compromised than call bank and have account changed. But ultimately it is human error that will get her in trouble, she cannot be giving information online to strangers or use her bank account info online or for that matter have her account numbers or pin#'s stored on  her phone or computer. 

The AARP website has TONS of information about what scammers look for and what info they can collect. PLEASE tell your mother to go there and read--and educate herself about these. Encourage her also to delete her present dating profiles and create new ones that do not have personal information. Let her know what info she should and should NOT report to anyone online. 

Banks will NOT try to recover funds that your mother allowed to be taken from her accounts. They are not in the protection business. They will not try to recover any lost funds. Credit card companies might--if the illegal charges are reported and the card numbers frozen.

Freeze your mother's credit accounts for her--that info is ALSO on the AARP website. That way no one can open any new credit in her name or use the personal info they stole to open credit. 

Hacking a facebook account is fairly common, but it should not result in loss of money unless your mother was ignorant and posted her bank account numbers or SSN on there. Usually hackers just flood your friends list with new friend requests or troll the user with some stupid commenting. She ought to know how to block anyone she does not want to chat with or comment to -- so teach her where those buttons are on FB. 

Please have your mother READ ABOUT SCAMMERS and how they work. There is a huge amount of info on AARP's website about this--and it's FREE. She should also join AARP if she hasn't--that will cost her about $16/year. It's worth it because they sent out two very good magazines that have lots MORE information and it's always current. It's one of the best places you can look for this stuff. 

And make sure you keep in contact with her--if she is being irresponsible about her banking or buying online, watch and review what she does so she is not a victim. You have to help her find the correct info and the most helpful info--because she's not doing it. Don't let her get scammed or taken. 

I take most of my money out of my bank account, and I leave some money in my bank account. I decided to hide my life savings. If my bank ever gets hacked then I won't lose my life savings. Because I chose to hide it, and I know where my money is.

It's not a bank's job to protect your mom from scammers. If your mom voluntarily gives out personal information, and then she loses money from her account then that's her problem. Nobody is going to retrieve her funds.

Scammers don't hack anything. Hackers are the people who hack stuff. Sometimes I have problems with hackers, but I think, for me scammers are much easier to deal with. I can just ignore scammers, but sometimes I confront hackers.

Hackers are people who can cause me problems, so in my line of work I try to deal with them. Regarding scammers, I think they are wasting their time communicating with me.

• Tavy

You and your mother need to contact the bank. They can change her card and flag the account.

You should have done this yesterday.

• Judy

No, th bank can't help recover it. With your mom's approval, they might be able to flag her accounts that you must be contacted before any sums over x $s can be withdrawn.

If your mother is not mentally competent, perhaps you should considering petitioning the court to have a guardian appointed. 

She is either capable of handling her finances or she isn't.   Perhaps she shouldn't be dating if she doesn't have the judgement to safeguard her assets.

The bank is not her mommy.    If she's mentally competent, she can take initiative to learn how to keep herself safe.  Or you can teach her.   But ultimately, she is responsible for her own decisions/behavior (until a judge in a court of law says otherwise).

Sometimes consumers are made whole after being a victim of fraud or theft, but often not.  It depends on the specific circumstances  of which you gave none.

Putting a fraud alert on on SSN at the three major credit bureaus and putting extra security checks on all her investment accounts are a good place to start.   She knows not to discuss her finances with anyone she's dating, right? 

Unless your mom gave someone her bank info being on facebook isn't going to cause her bank info to be given to someone randomly. If you are worried, have her close her account and re-open a new one.