Is the 390 V8 12V Ford Engine made to be driven hard?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

I'm doing this from memory, so please excuse any blunders . .

That engine family was new in 1958 with the 332, 352 & 361 engines  (361 was in smaller Edsel) . . . later enlarged to the 390,  406,  410, 427 and 428 engines with different bores and strokes, compression ratios, cams, etc.

All good robust engines - the 390 worked-out better than the 352 and the 335 hp version was awesome,  but the heavy hitters were the 427 and most 406s that had cross-bolted main bearing caps  (some of the early 406s did not).  They are very expensive if you find an original one today.

• 4 months ago

The FE engine was a tough engine. The block was used in the AC Cobra 427 side oiler. Even in stock form it was could take some pretty high rev's (10 grand) for short periods of time. In Nascar the 427 version was the engine to beat for several years.

With the 390 just having a smaller bore- it was one tough engine in stock form. The 390 with 2 v (2-barrel) heads was a great performing engine. The sole detractor being a oil starvation problem at the rear of the valve train. The reason for the "side oiler" nomenclature is because of additional oiling to the rear of the head.

If one wished to go into higher RPM's for a long time (10 grand on a stock engine would not be good for long term, 8 grand could be turned all day) some work would be needed in the valve train.

• M.
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

There was a 390 2V, and there was a 390 4V as regular production.

There were some 390 6V engines (3×2V) available as special option.

The larger 428 had some 8V engines (2×4V) available as special option.

There was no 390 12V.  Ok?

It must be a "typo".

The Ford 390 was the medium displacement FE (Ford-Edsel) engine (332 to 428 in³).  It was available as an option in the Mustang, mid-sized Fords, full-sized Fords and even pickup trucks.

What is your definition of "driven hard"?

Circle track racing?  Pulling a trailer?

Explain it and I'll give more input.

I have worked on many Ford 390 engines.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• 4 months ago

it is a 16 valve engine not a 12 valve. It is a dependable engine but like any other consumer engine it is not designed to be driven hard. It is not a race engine. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • arther
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

I doubt it could handle constantly operating at near peak revs but that would be driving like a bat out of hell, the big v8 would have heaps of torque it would probably handle the way I drive for a long time you wouldn't need to rev theshit out of it like an old toyota for example all the Toyota light trucks Ive had I have reved the crap out of them at times in low for hours on end , the v8's Ive driven have had heaps of low down power Ive never need to rev the crap out of . A racer would make them rev but race cars don't hang together like a road car they get rebuilt regularly 

• 4 months ago

1 1/2 valves per cylinder? 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Racing engines are made to be driven hard. Consumer automobile engines are not. 

• Bill
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

They were used in sedans, trucks, and muscle cars. They are tough and durable. They can be driven hard. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.