promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

The lockdown has seen a high increase in pet adoptions. What precautions are shelters/rescues taking (cont.)?

- to assure these animals are going into lifetime homes instead of as somthing disposable that can be abandoned or left to be ignored once the lockdown lifts?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

At one shelter in my town you have to make an appointment to come and see the animals. Only one person or client at a time, no crowds or close contact with anybody.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Basset Hound puppy. 

• 2 months ago

The adoption applications are an aid in helping adoptions rule out certain lifestyles, people with no yards for the dogs, not enough time to spend with dog. Your experiences matter. Same screening process as before & just hope & pray they made the right decision.

Now is a good time to adopt cause people now have time to do the training they couldn't do while working. Many advantages to adopting now.

• 2 months ago

I don't know about other states, but in mine, it's 100% illegal to turn around and dump the animal back in the shelter, free and clear. Many here have a surrender fee, meaning the person is paying MORE than what they paid to adopt the animal in the first place. Also, they are chipped and tagged before going to their new homes, so if an animal is dumped, they can find the last known address and get the person that way. 

But, a lot of the shelters in my area are closed, and people are only reaching out to foster. It's been chaos. Sadly, more animals are being dumped than adopted (at least here) because people are home with them 24/7 and realize, OH, THIS IS WHAT A DOG IS? Seriously. A lot of animals are getting thrown out of their routines and it's causing stress on both sides.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The same screening techniques that worked before also work now.

Having a month or two at home really is a great time to adopt a pet. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Rescues are classified as a non essential business and here they are closed so there is no increase at all as people can't go in to 'visit' kennels/centres, no pre- house checks are being done and many professional animal related businesses are also closed and much of rescues funding is normally raised by them, with either collection boxes and/or animal feed boxes for their clients to donate into, dog shows are cancelled and many are set up as all profits go to local animal rescues... so at this point in time many more animals in centres are being PTS.

Reality is many people who are rescuing at this time are doing it purely on an emotional basis and boredom and MANY will dump these pets once life gets more back to normal, so they are the wrong people to adopt and are doing it for the wrong and often self centred reasons

• 2 months ago

Most rescues have shut their doors at the moment and certainly not rehoming anything.   (In the UK at least).

• 2 months ago

UK.   I'm surprised because here at any rate, ONLY essential trips should be made and that means only shopping (hopefully once a week),  and collecting medication.   This means there shouldn't be ANY increases in pet adoptions at the moment.   Are Shelters still open to the public?   Again they shouldn't be.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.