Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

A friend told me recently she buys a new robe/dressing gown/pajamas each winter, is this too much? How long do people keep sleepwear for?

• J

I keep my night clothes as long as they don’t have something wrong with it. I see no reason to buy new pajamas every year unless they’re falling apart. It’s not like I’m trying to look nice to sleep. I usually just sleep in a tank top and panties if not completely naked. 

Mine are about 10 to 15 years old so no.

I occasionally buy a new nightgown, new slippers, and once in a great while, a new bathrobe.

Usually the reason is that an older cotton gown has developed some damaged places, or my size has changed.  One time the gown was totally uncomfortable.

It's good to have a number of these so that I can wear a clean one whenever I want.

All comes down to personal choice. Some people will change up their wardrobe each season, others not so much. Can often be determined by budget and financial circumstance too.

depends on the person, i dont see anything wrong with doing that

Clearly it's not too much for her.

It sounds like it's too much for you.   

Her money is hers to spend as she sees fit just like yours is yours to spend as you see fit.

There is no law that requires or restricts the purchasing of sleepwear.

?????

One new nightgown or PJ per year is not excessive. Cycling their oldest nightgown out and getting a new one each year isn’t a bad idea. 

Repeated washings can put some wear and tear on a nightgown. I can’t imagine having a nightgown of ten years or more. 

• audrey

I have nightgowns that my husband bought me before he died ten years ago. Soooo..........

I get new PJ's every year for Christmas.

• patty

a few years..........................................................