Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

I tried to give a cat its first bath and it had a panic attack?

So I decided to give a cat its first bath ever, but I could barely start bathing it, as it started to meow loudly and ran away, then he laid on the floor and start panting heavily, he was all floppy.... obviously I decided not to bath him anymore, I gave him time to recover... it has been almost 10 hours, he iss calm now and is no longer panting, but his breah rythm isn't fully back to normal and he still slightly opens his mouth to breath sometimes.... what could it be? I'm afraid to take him to the vet as I know he always gets really nervous when he gets into the car.

Thanks for the answers of those who actually wanted to help instead of being judgmental. The cat is fine now... he only needed some more time to fully recover his normal breathing... Hopefully this will be a good reference for someone who goes through the same situation in the future.

Not all cats are okay with water, in fact if you force them once they become adults they can have such a fit about it it becomes a fight or flight life and death issue, they get a huge adrenaline rush to their hearts and they literally will go into shock from just being set into water or having a pail of water being poured on them.

Kittens need to start young (most cats do not need an all over wet bath,they self groom). With some people that show cats, or if the cat gets into something that needs washing off most people use a wet cloth and wash, rinse wash some more. It’s inconvenient for us because it takes three times longer but the cats will usually accept it as our version of grooming  them but much wetter.

Of all the cats we have had to bathe and clean up over the years, everything from oil spills to paint, blood from trauma etc we have never had a cat go into the state of shock like your cat.  We have rescued them from wells, ponds and water tanks and they are much like the state your cat is in, also taking many hours to calm down.

To your cats brain you may as well have filled up the bathtub and held him under water until he almost drown, the cats natural instinct kicked in and  gave him that reaction. that’s why you don’t see cats outside running around in heavy rain, they hide against trees or better under overhangs, under cars, stairs etc, anything from getting wet.  It’s not that they can’t swim, they prefer not to get wet, or the majority of cats do.

I also have several cats that seem to enjoy getting wet, BC our long hair Siamese cross will sneak into the shower from time to time and wait to get wet.  He loves being towel dried and even tolerates the blow dryer.  His previous owner used to give him monthly baths from the time he was a kitten to help keep the dander down and when she passed we adopted him.  He misses his baths but doesn’t need them.  Because he was exposed to them from three months old and up he grew used to ten and trusted his keeper to do all this to him.

I would never think of taking any unseated cat and give them a bath with out testing their water tolerance first.  Some cats even have a slight hissy fit just with a wet wash cloth, but if you don’t try and wet and drench the cat all over at once they seem to trust that their humans not trying to kill them, but if you try and force the cat you will either get scratched up or the cat may have a reaction like yours did.

Good luck, don’t try and bathe him when he calms down, 

I would wait on it if you can, if he does need a bath because of foreign stuff like paint etc then just wash the area that’s dirty with a washcloth, rinse with clear water and towel dry.  Most cats love the drying part it’s similar to mutual grooming to them.

Why are you bathing a cat?  Cats keep clean by washing themselves, they hate water and it can actually damage their fur.  Please don't do it ever again or don't have a cat, have a dog instead.

• Ocimom

Cats can have a bath and it doesn't damage their fur!

You don't bath cats. That is cruel. They wash themselves. It is also very bad for them. I honestly don't think you should have a cat. You don't know about them. This is really terrifying and upsetting for a cat. Try to find someone who really loves and understands cats to take it from you.

Well, I thought I would supply a pet it is primary bathroom previously, although I could truthfully seldom start out showering the item, the way it started to meow noisally in addition to jogged absent, then he lay on a lawn you need to pant to a great extent, he/she seemed to be many floppies.... definitely When I decided not to bathroom them nowadays, When I afforded them the perfect time to heal... it is pretty much 10 time, he/she is tranquil at this point and is particularly not panting, although his or her breach rythm is just not thoroughly here we are at usual in addition to he/she however a little bit clears his or her lips to help breath of air from time to time.... what exactly will it be? Now I am worried about taking them towards the doctor as I learn he/she generally obtains definitely tense as soon as he/she is put in your vehicle.

• Warren

What language is this? It is an incomprehensible word salad!
      Reported.

You gave him anxiety. Cats bathe themselves. Give that cat to someone who will actually take care of it.

• Matt

The beat wath to bathe a cat might be a gentle shower. Its how its done in many grooming places. Ask advice from local groomer, ask online in pkaces more closely related to cats and animal care then YA. And do not make the same mistake 2x

• Ocimom

I had one cat in my life that was terrified of water and baths.  I had to give him a dry bath.  I don't know how you bathed the cat but most people put too much water in a tub to bathe the cat.  There is a proper way of washing a cat.  I can wash any cat with very little problems because I show cats and I know how to do it correctly.

Your cat may have have a heart issue.  I'd have a vet check out your cat asap.

Your cat was traumatized. Maybe by the bath--or the water on his head--or the sound of the water running, or soap got into his eyes--could be a lot of things. He's scared, and he panted and went floppy because of it. So don't bathe him again unless there is an iron-clad necessity. 

You don't really ever need to bathe a cat in water unless you are (1) flea-dipping him to kill a large infestation, or (2) there is something a wet-wipe or wet towel cannot remove from his fur. Bathing isn't something domestic cats enjoy OR need most of the time. And fleas can be removed with combing and topical treatments, they don't HAVE to be bathed off. 

Speak softly to your cat, stroke him where he likes it, and keep him away from the bathroom, or any water source for awhile. He will recover. 

If your cat is still panting, then there is something ELSE wrong, and he can't catch his breath. Or he's HOT--cats pant when they are overheated just like any animal does. But give him time. If it doesn't stop within a day or two, call your vet. 

• Green Brick

There is never a reason to bathe your cat.  If it rolls in something icky, then use a damp cloth to wipe it down, gently.

• PAMELA

Cats do not need to be bathed, they clean themselves, do it again and the cat will die from shock.

I don't know what it could be aside from a continuation of the panic attack, but I'd have been calling my vet for advice 8 hours ago.

I hope there was a very good reason to give the cat a bath. It's very rarely necessary. I've had cats for 50 years and have only bathed one once, when it walked under a car and got a lot of engine oil on it.

• patty

take to vet if concerned. Cats don't need baths as they are very clean.

• patty

you need to buy a book on how to care for a cat. Next u will be drying him in the oven