Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 4 months ago

Is agriculture really a science?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes, agriculture is the science and art of cultivating plants and livestock.

• John
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Watch AgPHD on the RFD channel. Weed of the Week is the highlight. True story, Obama tried to shut down the RFD channel but I and many others signed a petition which kept it on the air.

• df
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

Yes you can get a BS in it at my local uni

• 4 months ago

Yes, Agriculture really a science. Day by day different type of experiment come in front of us like plant, tree etc. which is more beneficial for human being  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

No, and yes.

You can plant & grow food by watering.

But to 'optimize' growing is very scientific, as is understanding "what went wrong" when things get diseased or die.

• 4 months ago

Can you postulate and test hypotheses in agriculture? Sure. That makes it a science.

• 4 months ago

Yes. Specifically, it would be considered an "applied science". 

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Not really, it's too far down the line of emergent properties and it is more like engineering in that the purpose is to make stuff (food). You can probably find Agricultural Science as a subject to study but the general rule is that if a course has the word Science in the title, it isn't a science. But you can take a scientific approach to a subject (ie theories, testing, evidence etc), which is what would distinguish Agricultural Science from a historical study or modern dogma.

Just as a comparison, I work in electronics and I don't consider that a science either. 

• Teresa
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Yes, there's university courses : "Agricultural Science provides the research, technology and information for the sustainable and ethical development of the agricultural industry. Your studies will include soil science, genetics, cropping systems, soil-plant interaction, livestock production, agricultural economics and grain marketing."

• 4 months ago

Agriculture itself is the process of growing food (i.e. that's what farmers do).  Agricultural science is indeed real science, in fact a mixture of several different areas of science, studying the process by which people grow food.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.