Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 2 months ago

Birthday etiquette?

It is the first time we are doing a real party. My kid goes to a daycare. There are 11 kids in there. Do we invite all 11 kids and their parents? I do not want to offend anyone, it is just our townhouse is not that big and we do not want to rent other places. I am thinking to invite everyone because there is always a chance that not everyone will make it.

The party is in July, I have never said it is now. 

• Edna

It would be rude if you DIDN'T invite all 11 kids and their parents  (you really mean their mothers) in your child's daycare. Otherwise, it would look as if you singled out some of them to not invite.

Don't worry about the size of your townhouse. Half of them aren't going to show up anyway.

• Namito

At this age yes, the etiquette is to invite all the kids and their parents.  In middle school the rules change.  The odds are that the vast majority of parents will want to meet you, and come if they can.  I've been invited to two dozen toddler parties and each one has said "siblings welcome".   Yeah, I know.  I live on the west coast and my sister lives on the east coast.  We don't use our house for parties, we meet elsewhere.  None of the other toddler parties  I've gone to were at a child's house.

If you had asked me this question a year ago I would also suggest a park.

Etiquette this year is different.  Please forgive my commenting on the party in July date.  I have worked at a Public Health Research Center for over a decade.  It is a scientific fact that this pandemic will not be over in twelve months.  Children are often asymptomatic carriers of the disease.  My son was asymptomatic when my husband was sick. I ask that you consider the grandparents of the children who might be playing on the swings together.  

• GB

It's all or none, unless any of the kids are your child's cousins.  It's no good inviting them all, hoping they all won't make it. Murphy's law says they all will, or at least too many to cope with.  What if the majority of kids turn up with both parents?  I think it's better to specify on the invitations, one parent. 

Is it possible to hold the party in the daycare center?  I would suggest approaching the child-minder supervisor about this.

So do it in a park and yes you invite everyone.

• LizB

Presuming you can even have your party by then since social distances may very well extend into summer... what is your daycare's policy around birthday party invites? Some don't care, others have a rule that if you invite one kid from the classroom you must invite all of them. Both my kids' daycares and schools were this way.

Pro-tip if you don't want a huge party -- wait until like a week before to send invites to your child's classmates. On that short of notice many families will already have conflicting plans, so you're unlikely to have *everyone* show up. For the kids your child is friends with, you could verbally notify the family in advance so that they'll be more likely to keep their schedule clear.

• edward

DON’T DO IT! Social distancing should be practiced

• Edna

Social distancing??  The kids aren't "socially distancing" themselves when they're in the day care.

• Jill

You're kidding right? No one in their right mind would take their child to a birthday party right now.

This is not the time to ave a party. When it is invite everyone.

i would invite everywhere so everyone dont feel left out

Where are you that it's appropriate to have gatherings right now?

• Edna

If she's in Texas, it's appropriate to have gatherings right now. Almost all the "restrictions" in this state were lifted this week, and the remainder will be lifted on May 1.