Jj asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 months ago

Can you learn to play guitar at home without taking lessons and is it hard?

Yes, you *can* teach yourself to play guitar at home using only a book or online lessons. It's not as effective as having a real teacher in the room with you, but may be your best option during this time of social distancing. The danger is learning bad technique and not following a lesson plan. Once learned, bad technique is hard to unlearn. If you don't follow some sort of logical lesson plan, you risk missing vital skills, and also getting frustrated.

I recommend that you find one good website and follow it. JustinGuitar https://www.justinguitar.com/site-map-and-lesson-s... is as good as any. Resist the urge to look up "how to play" your favorite tunes on youtube until you actually know how to play guitar. As soon as it's safe, try to connect with other players.

• Denny2 months agoReport

It is important that a new guitarist  at least takes a few professional lessons; otherwise you can't tell if you're doing it correctly, (technique)  and can form bad playing habits which will handicap your playing further down the road...Denny

With lots of video instruction along with dedication and practice, but only so much ..

Yes you can, but you will learn quicker if you have a least a few lessons. Lessons were not an option for me and there was no money for books and this was LONG before the internet was invented, but I got there in the end.  Actually that's not true because we NEVER stop learning, but I got good enough for solo gigs.

Nothing worthwhile is easy. It is the same with learning to play the guitar. You will suffer with really sore fingers at first. Your body responds by growing thicker skin on those finger tips so it doesn't hurt any more .... but only if you stick with it.

In teaching myself, I developed one bad habit that has held me back. On the other hand, by having to work things out for myself, I sometimes have a better insight than people who only ever had lessons and learnt to read music. Maybe I learnt to rely on my ears while they were learning to convert musical notation to finger movements.

In terms of versatility, my qualified, professionally trained colleagues will always have the edge because they can pick up a brand new piece of music and, with a little practice, play it. I can't do that.

As a 100% self-taught player, I recommend having at least a few lessons.

It is possible to learn without lessons but I would strongly urge you to consider taking lessons. Statistics show that something like 90% of all people who try to learn on their own fail at the attempt. Why not give yourself the best possible chance for success and take lessons with a professional guitar teacher?

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years

Yes, a person can learn guitar at home without lessons. It takes lots of practice, but it need not be hard.

• Murzy

Take 6 lessons before you develop any bad habits that will be hard to break later on. You can learn some chords and play a thousand songs.

i dont see why not

Yes it is hard. but I bought my first guitar for $5 and was playing in a rock band two years later. No lessons.

Youtube has some good tutorials and I think Fender is still offering a free three months of guitar lessons if all of the spots haven't filled up yet.

I mean learning a new skill is always gonna be hard, especially if it long term and u wanna keep playing the guitar but YouTube tutorials are gonna help a lot, that’s what I did.

• musicman

This one is a good answer !