Jamie
Jamie asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 6 months ago

What's better shooting with on a DSLR the screen or the view finder?

• BriaR

The reason people buy DSLRs is because they give a huge level of control over the image production process.  They offer a wide range of choice so you can set up the camera to get the best image.

So, to answer your specific question... there is no right or wrong, no one size fits all.  Sometimes the viewfinder is best other times the screen is best.  Use the one that you find gives the best results.  For what it is worth when using the camera hand-held I use the viewfinder 99.5% of the time because it is easier to get a good stable position.  On the tripod then I would say 25% viewfinder 75% screen.  

yes          .

You can use the screen without holding the camera at arms length... never understood this argument.

Use the option that allows you to get the shot you want. I use the screen when I have the camera attached to a spotting scope, or usually when on a tripod. Hand-held I use the viewfinder. Using a monopod I use the viewfinder more than the screen, but am not against using it if I need to do so.

There are still many hold-outs from film days that poopoo the screens on cameras, but they use autofocus lenses. When AF lenses were introduced you got much of the same sort of bellyaching and whining.

I find it telling that you can't buy a DSLR without a view screen.

The dSLR was never meant to be held at arm's length (or so). Its defining feature is an optical viewfinder, which has to be held close to the eye with only the nose romancing the rear LCD.

DSLR the screen in my point of view.

• keerok

If you don't know what, when or why even bother with an optical viewfinder then forget using or buying a dSLR.

I use both if the camera's on a tripod, but use the viewfinder whenever I can for hand held as it's more stable.  If I want to be unobtrusive I sometimes use the screen and shoot from waste level - it looks like I'm fiddling with the camera rather than taking pictures. 

• Andrew

Optical viewfinders work without power, cut out distractions, and encourage you to hold the camera properly.

Film photographers didn't have screens, and seemed to do fairly well.

• Sumi

For the most part using the viewfinder will be the best way to shoot with a DSLR.  Why?  Because when you hold a DSLR up to your face, you are much more steady than holding the camera out like it was a phone which is what you have to do when using the screen.

However, there are legitamate reasons to use the screen.  Any time the camera is at a high/low or awkward position you will want to use the screen.  Many times in these situations the camera will be on a tripod which does the job of keeping the camera steady as opposed to holding the camera with your arms stretched out.  Sports photographers shooting a celebrating team after a win is a prime example of using the screen.

The rule is that if you're capable of getting the shot when using the viewfinder, then do so because you'll be holding the camera steadier than when using the screen.

I typically will use the viewfinder as using the screen slows down focus and some other things on my camera (which is getting relatively old by now) but I do use the screen especially when working at high or low angles (my screen rotates) simply because I can't use the viewfinder. Also use the screen when shooting video.

I don't think one is better than the other, the question is what works better for you and your current needs for a given shot