Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStandards & Testing · 2 months ago

Opinions: How many hours did you study for your SAT?

It’s about that time we study for SATs and since we’re in quarantine, I think it’ll be a perfect time to study. I’m not sure when the SAT deadline at my school is but it’s usually in the middle of the school year. I’m not really sure how long to study to make a successful score. It doesn’t have to perfect, but I’d desire an amount that would get me in good schools. Thanks!

• drip

It does depend on what classes you have taken, at what level and what kind of student you are.

My daughter went in cold, didn’t study at all for the ACT and scored a 29. Which converts to 1350 for the SAT. 

Her friend took the ACT 3 times, study intensely in between each exam and got a 26 all 3 times.

How long you study doesn’t matter if you are studying inefficiently.  There is no magic number of hours to study. If you study four hours a day you will score 1350. Doesn't work that way,   Some students can study for hours and not score well. Part of this exam is what knowledge you have and how well you can use that knowledge.

Keep reviewing each day to keep information fresh in your mind. And learn some good time management skills. You need to be able to take a timed test and finish it. If you don’t know an answer should you guess or leave it blank? Learn how to best how to take the exam as well as the material on it.

I took it many years ago so don't remember how many hours I studied for. 

But it obviously wasn't enough, much of that was my fault (not realizing what'd be on it) also that had very little prior exposure to Algebra, and even in other areas I was mostly 

in special ed (I have several disabilities) so hadn't been challenged on higher level stuff.

I consequently had to go to go a business school before trying my luck at a state college.

I studied for 27 hours. My first practice score was a 1500, and the one I ultimately got on the exam was a 1540. 40 points isn't a huge jump, but when you're so close to 1600, it's actually pretty significant. Khan Academy is a great resource. I did at least 10 question every day on it, as well as 5 practice tests.

• Penn1 month agoReport

*questions, not question

I didn't study at all. Not one bit. I scored 99 in English and 79 in math, rounding off a little because that was many years ago and I don't know where my original certificate is.

I barely ever studied for anything. I was not a good student. The only subjects I got really good marks in were English and French. I almost failed math every year. So you see, a SAT score is no indication of how you do in school, and no indication of how well you studied.

• y

I have no idea, decades ago. I can tell you that my daughter did not study for any of it. She didn't want the stress. Turns out, she didn't need to.  She also took the stress out of her college BS, she identified what she wanted to major in, identified what schools within her specified range offered both majors. Figured out her budget and which ones fell into that range. Then chose one, applied, was accepted end of story.

Honestly, it depends on your usual performance and how often you study, as well as how quickly you can grasp information and how long you can retain it for. To be on the safer side, I'd suggest about 2-3 hours a day of both studying and PRACTICING. I can't emphasise how important that is! Practice, practice, practice. I can promise you that you'll do great with this! :D

+ You didn't ask but Khan Academy's SAT practice is so useful. Study with that and you're pretty much done.