Boy
Boy asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

Question about portable tvs, why are they even being sold anymore? There is no more purpose for them on the digital spectrum.?

First off I recently purchased a portable tv that you carry around with you.

Back when analog tv was the hype I could get many stations on it. Now since the spectrum being digital I am lucky to get one station on it.

Also when a station has a minor weakness, the whole station freezes and is unwatchable.

portable TVs nowadays are nothing like the old ones back when analog tv was still around. When analog tv was still around they were actually enjoyable to own but now it is a headache. It is the digital spectrum that causes the portable tv to become pretty much inert.

digital portable TVs use the same spectrum as non-portable tvs. Atsc isn't quite as good as dvt-b for reception in a moving object (thank you lobbyists and politicians), but my guess is you either got a defective tuner or need a uhf antenna.

• Boy

probably a defective tuner

If they are being sold, it's because there is a demand for them.  You would have to ask the people buy them what they see as the use for them.  For example, VCRs are no longer available (well, maybe a very few) because there is no demand for them.  Do you remember L-cassettes players?  More dead technology.

• spacemissing

Elcaset. There was Never a demand for That format! YouTube channel Techmoan has a good video about it. 

Old video game consoles work best on them.