Larry
Larry asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 4 months ago

NYC and Los Angeles have stay at home orders. Most are doing that. So why is the new cases and death rate continue to spike every 2 days?

• John

California is not. San Francisco is not. San Francisco area is increasing 20-25% a day or so, Oakland, where I live has yet to hit 400 but I haven't looked today. Because our governor is a smart person who shut the state down long ago. As much as I admire Cuomo I just don't know what he was thinking. Now NY is doing Italy all over again.

I just looked for another reason. San Francisco is at 568 cases - today. That is up 7% from yesterday, 29% from last week. Deaths are steady at 8. Same conclusion. Thank God to live in California.

Go ask in Infectious Diseases. This is NOT a Travel question.

Because the incubation time period is about two weeks. So, people coming down with it now likely got infected at least two weeks ago.

because people were infected 2 weeks ago and are just now getting sick,

Because a person doesn't get sick immediately. when they are exposed The new cases and deaths being reported now could be in patients who were infected 2 weeks ago and didn't know it yet. And not everyone in Los Angeles is staying home. I've driven there (my employer is working on a project for the government and is allowed to stay open) and there are lots of other cars on the roads. Not as many as usual, but a lot.

It can take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear so there’s going to be a delay before the numbers drop. Spain is just beginning to see its numbers fall. Hopefully the United States we see the numbers drop but then again, not all cities are on lockdown so there might be another peak.