promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What do I do about my husband’s singing?

I can’t stand my husband’s singing. It’s awful but he sings or hums away all the effing time. He is utterly tuneless but doesn’t appear to realise that he butchers every single tune he turns his attention to. I am an ex choir girl of average ability so I can at least appreciate the difference between holding a tune and warbling about in 3 different keys, but I am sorry to say he cannot.

At the moment he is enjoying old English folk songs, all of which he's managed to make sound the same, and he obviously thinks he’s doing quite a good job of them because he’s got his ‘signing voice’ on where he attempts to roll his R’s and trill like some professional baritone.

I love him dearly but for the love of god his singing drives me up the wall. It would hurt him if I said any of this so I can’t, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to hold my snide remarks in much longer. I think buying him singing lessons for Christmas would be too passive aggressive.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • susan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

My husband's singing is also tuneless, and he didn't used to know it. Then a few years ago some jerk was horribly aggressively rude to him about how awful his singing voice sounded, and now that he knows his voice is tuneless he won't sing aloud, or hum to himself or ANYTHING around anyone including me. I miss that happy sound with all my heart. I can't convince him that it would actually make me happy to hear him sing or hum, because he'd be making a joyful noise and I could appreciate it as a sign of his happiness. But he's too self conscious and won't do it now. I could strangle the person who did that to him. PLEASE don't do this to your husband or anyone else. If you need a break, go outside and look at the sky.

• Julie S
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Amen.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Baal
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Record him and play it back before everyone.  If that doesn't cure him then I don't know what will.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I am sure it is painful to hear. You love him but that doesn’t mean you have to take it until you die. Video tape him, say it’s for posterity. 

• 2 months ago

Did you know from the beginning he loved doing this? Did you not know, or did you think marriage would miraculously make him a great singer? 

I'm a choral singer too and my husband (of 25 years) used to sing silly songs around the house all the time. At first I tried correcting him when he got the words wrong, but I eventually gave up and just let him enjoy the simple pleasure of singing. You DO get used to it after a while--I promise. My husband doesn't do it as much anymore and I actually kinda miss it. 

When your husband's a goof, let him be a goof.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Did he just start singing or was he doing that before you were married?

• 2 months ago

Get rid of his earbuds. Don't let him sing without hearing his own voice.

Sing along with him and help him harmonize with you. 

"There is no wrong note, as long as you are singing it." Pete Seeger

• 2 months ago

;Pay for him to get voice training or buy earplugs.

• Kev
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Do you have a question?

• 2 months ago

You married him knowing he sang. Deal

• Jess2 months agoReport

Cheers captain sanctimonious. I am dealing, hence the question.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.